'File too large' error

NoSmokingBandit

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello OneButMe

I have the exact same problem: Can't download files larger than 4GB that is split into more smaller files (.rar) when I set some of them to "Don't download".

I get the error-message (bad translated and not exact since I can't remember the exact now): "Not enough space on startdisk... Clear up some space."

My specs are uTorrent 0.9.0.4, Mac OS 10.5.6 and disk is formatted as HFS+.

I have >30GB free!!

• 5 months later...

Okay. The FAT32 format will not take files larger than 4 GB. and I can solve this problem by reformatting my external, Western Digital HD in the NTFS format. But will my Mac, which is writing the files to this drive recognize a windows format?

NoOneButMe has suggested I reformat the drive as HFS+ Journaled in Disk Utility. Is this the same as the Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format?

I am not very technical. Do I use this utility to erase the HD and then use the same utility to reformat the drive in the Mac OS Extended (Jounraled) format?

• 1 year later...

I am having the same problem SimpleTech drive formatted to MS-DOS (FAT) and anything above 4GB gets the error and yes, Status says FILE TO LARGE. So if i do need to formate differently what formats (on a mac since according to some windows users this is only a mac problem) would i formate it too... Although someone on the forum mentioned that the format won't accept files larger than 4GB i wanted to point out this is not the case, this problem only occurs with uTorrent and if i must will simply get transmission. I know this because i left Xtorrent for uTorrent as Xtorrent started to crash repetitively, but just before switching i had downloaded south park 50 some GB to the same HD, only thing that changed was my client. Any one have a straight forward solution before i attempt this on my own?

Just a update i downloaded transmission just to "test" my theory and yes the torrents that are bigger than 4gb will download to the same HD without any problems that i was trying to use via uTorrent. Very disappointing i shouldn't have to reformat a drive just for a particular client....

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps uTorrent is incorrectly calculating the file sizes when downloading. As of 10.6, Apple, as part of a global consortium, decided that 1000b = 1kb, 1000kb = 1MB not 1024b = 1kb 1024kb = 1MB etc…

When the Finder works out the disk space, a program (daemon) within OSX called 'diskarbitrationd' that handles everything related to drives and assists in the calculation of disk space. It could be that uTorrent is using a low-level system call that is, at random, being told the incorrect information by OSX or reading the wrong part of the metadata of a file (owing to how HFS+ works).

Such a thing can happen with OSX; for example if you have a 700MB file and acquired 320MB of it, OSX will still report it as being 700MB and count this as being used, even though no data is actually there. I know uTorrent may be wishing to save space by telling the OS that this is total file size, but it could be that uTorrent is being given a false reading by the OS.

If you are using FAT32, OSX does handle it quite well but, as stated before, it does not handle files >4GB. If you reformat to HFS+ (Journaled) (the required partition for Mac OS X to run), Windows will not be able to write to the drive, only READ if you have BOOT CAMP installed. To write to NTFS, you will need a third-party piece of software as Apple purposely did not include native NTFS read support to 'stop the spread of viruses and malware from a Windows drive'.

If all else fails, launch Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) and select your HDD. If available, click 'Repair Disk Permissions', then click 'Verify Disk'. If Disk Utility reports an error, you will have to restart your Mac and run Repair Disk from the Installation Discs. This will fix all sorts of stuff with your HDD and may even fix this problem.

I don't know if this helps, but thought I would share on some tidbits I have learnt over time ;)

-timeimp

• 4 weeks later...
Perhaps uTorrent is incorrectly calculating the file sizes when downloading. As of 10.6, Apple, as part of a global consortium, decided that 1000b = 1kb, 1000kb = 1MB not 1024b = 1kb 1024kb = 1MB etc…

When the Finder works out the disk space, a program (daemon) within OSX called 'diskarbitrationd' that handles everything related to drives and assists in the calculation of disk space. It could be that uTorrent is using a low-level system call that is, at random, being told the incorrect information by OSX or reading the wrong part of the metadata of a file (owing to how HFS+ works).

Such a thing can happen with OSX; for example if you have a 700MB file and acquired 320MB of it, OSX will still report it as being 700MB and count this as being used, even though no data is actually there. I know uTorrent may be wishing to save space by telling the OS that this is total file size, but it could be that uTorrent is being given a false reading by the OS.

If you are using FAT32, OSX does handle it quite well but, as stated before, it does not handle files >4GB. If you reformat to HFS+ (Journaled) (the required partition for Mac OS X to run), Windows will not be able to write to the drive, only READ if you have BOOT CAMP installed. To write to NTFS, you will need a third-party piece of software as Apple purposely did not include native NTFS read support to 'stop the spread of viruses and malware from a Windows drive'.

If all else fails, launch Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities) and select your HDD. If available, click 'Repair Disk Permissions', then click 'Verify Disk'. If Disk Utility reports an error, you will have to restart your Mac and run Repair Disk from the Installation Discs. This will fix all sorts of stuff with your HDD and may even fix this problem.

I don't know if this helps, but thought I would share on some tidbits I have learnt over time ;)

-timeimp

When you say "If you reformat to HFS+", do you mean I can do this and all files on the disk is still there or does reformatting mean it's wiped all clean?

Archived