Question: Why does uTorrent try to connect to no40.tbcn.telia.com?

stukey

Hi all,

I'm new to the uTorrent client and have just downloaded the beta. It seems great and I get really good download speeds in comparison to Transmission. However I am concerned that the uTorrent app tries to connect to no40.tbcn.telia.com on UDP port 59325 (and possibly others) in the background as soon as it is launched - despite the fact that I have no torrents listed or running. Can anybody tell me why its doing that? It also connects to macupdate.utorrent.com on start-up, which I guess makes more sense as its checking for a new/updated version of the software... But it seems to connect to the macupdate server even if the option to 'automatically check for updates' is NOT enabled.

I've also noticed that uTorrent does not obey the 'stop seeding at ratio' specified in user preferences. It just keeps seeding forever. Is this a known bug?

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

Stu

Hi. Thanks for the response.

Yes, I did change the seed ratio. I didn't realise that wasn't allowed ;-) I will check the other forum for more info.

As far as the connections go, I have no idea. I have both 'Distributed Hash Table' and 'Peer Exchange' enabled in the preferences. I thought they were good options to enable. Am I wrong? Still don't understand why the client would start connecting to various addresses as soon as it is started when there's no torrents listed?

Regards,

Stu

It's not that it isn't allowed.... given the layout of the configuration files, and the new interface being on the uT/Mac port, there isn't enough space or GUI to do all the customization which was available before. The share ratio is set on-add, and as such when you lower the ratio sequentially the old ratio is still there. I'm not sure about using generic editors like Textedit or Textmate or ... the like, but I do know http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=31306 when run in any Windows or WINE session will allow you to edit settings.dat and resume.dat inside ~/Library/Application Settings/uTorrent

Yes, you can't really be sure with those options enabled. If you disable those options (their acronyms being DHT and PEX for short) and still see outbound connections please update the thread. Even without torrents your IP:PORT is still out there according to all previous swarms you were a part of, hence you'll see inbound connections. Any other questions?

Archived