port stops working after exit utorrent

ptrck52

I'm using port fowarding through my router, and a static IP address. This works fine when I first turn on the port thru the router, with utorrent running - incoming connections work, the port test works. But if I exit utorrent, then start it again, the port no longer works. (I.e. no changes other than re-starting utorrent.) I can see from my firewall's log that the packets are still getting thru the router, but I believe utorrent doesn't have the port open so the firewall discards the packets. I've also run a port scanner which says the port is closed. If I then then change to a different port number, in the router and in utorrent, it works again! - until I exit utorrent then that new port won't work anymore. Seems like the problem is in utorrent, ie it won't open the same port again after it exits the first time.

My firewall is PC Tools, have utorrent enabled for in/out TCP/UDP. Router is D-Link 2540B. Windows XP SP2. (There's no effect from re-booting.)

Yes, it's not randomizing the port. I verify it's always showing the same port number in Preferences (unless I change it of course).

Only security software is my firewall, which is PC Tools Firewall Plus. I am not changing any firewall settings between the port working and not working.

Just found that if I simply change the port number in uT (like, add one), and exit, then restart uT and change the port number back to the original number (that's forwarded thru the router), it works again! But then exit uT, then restart it, now that port is again not working. My theory is uT is not properly disconnecting from the port when it exits, so it can't re-connect when it starts again, unless I change the number, then change it back again. But why wouldn't this happen to everyone?

Archived