Speed- new, improved connection, lower speeds

darkew

Hello, everyone.

Here's my issue: I just changed ISPs and upgraded my bandwidht from a (alleged) 4 Mb/s connection to a 12 Mb/s connection.

After contacting the service provider and making sure they didn't interfere with torrent/traffic shaping/throttle at all, I contracted the service.

When I'm doing direct downloads, I can go at 1,5 MByte/s easy.

On my first couple of torrents, I also reached that regularly. So far so good.

After awhile, though, it became very slow. It will rarely go higher than 200 or 300/k, at an average 100k/s.

Since I was able to reach full speed, I guess there is no throttling. So, here's my info:

# Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar (at the bottom of the µTorrent main window)

# What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes

Green, ports open.

# What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be (press Ctrl+G in µTorrent)

UL Limit: 60 K/s

UL Slots: 4

Connections per torrent: 80

Connections, global: 350

Max active torrents: 5

Max active downloads: 4

# What you have net.max_halfopen set to (Preferences > Advanced in µTorrent)

# Operating system installed (Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95, NT? Something else?)

Vista

# Security software installed (firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antiadware)

BitDefender Total Security 2009

# Exact router model(s), and exact modem model

Modem: Arris TM602A

Router: Dlink WBR 2310

# ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used

Net Virtua (Brazil)

# Connection type (DSL, cable, dial-up), and the results obtained from the speed test (when running the Speed Guide), for both download AND upload. Be sure that you aren't using your connection for any other reason besides testing, while testing. That means no downloading, no IMing, no µTorrent running, no browser activity (other than the testing), etc.

Cable. 1400 D/L, 300 U/L.

Also, I just ran the Glasnost test, and it was all ok for all the ports, with speeds varying from a minimal 412 K/s and a max of 1100.

EDIT: I don't know how relevant that is, but, I also noticed that most of the peers that my utorrent client finds on the swarm are not other utorrents, but rather, lots of "Transmission" and some "Azureus". I report this because I don't think I ever even heard of transmission before, most of the connected peers used to be utorrents. Thought I'd mention :)

EDIT2: I also noticed that most connected peers, at this moment, are from my country (Brazil) or Argentina, with really lousy speeds. I'd rarely see any brazilians on the list before.

Can you guys please help me improve my download speeds? :)

Thank you!

Archived