bug when default downloads volume is missing

mattn

I find uTorrent to be working splendidly, but this is a true bug.

I have attached to my computer an external volume. Let's call it "external". I have specified /external/torrents as the place that torrents should be saved.

Okay, so I started up uTorrent without the external volume attached and started downloading. Big mistake. uTorrent's response was to modify the hidden /Volumes folder at my top level, creating a folder "external" and a folder "torrents" inside that!

uTorrent must not do this. It has no business touching the contents of /Volumes. Only the filesystem must do that. It is reserved for the filesystem to put links to mountpoints.

No damage was caused, but this is very wrong behavior. The correct response is for uTorrent to recognize that the download folder's volume is absent and ask for an alternative place to save any downloaded torrents.

@thelittlefire: OS X mounts *all* drives to /Volumes. Yes, your main drive is /. But it's also mounted at /Volumes. When you plug external media in (hard drives, flash drives, DVD's, whatever), they go to /Volumes/Volume Name.

It looks like uTorrent looks for the default download location and if its not found tries to create it. So, if you have your download at $HOME/Downloads/Temporary/ and then delete the Temporary folder, uTorrent will create it next time it tries to download something it seems. But, if your default download is on a separate drive, ie: /Volumes/External/Downloads/Temporary, and you disconnect the drive, uTorrent will then go and create the External folder with a Downloads subfolder and a Temporary folder within that.

Which is the wrong thing to do in certain situations. Creating a folder in /Volumes is definitely not something that should be done.

• 2 months later...

I just wanted to bump this to the top. It's still happening, and it's extremely troublesome. I also use an external, and accidently started UT without it on.

Because UT can't do a "show file location" type thing, it has now lost my folder. Everything I download, even now with it connected, is going to my Volume folder, and I CANNOT freaking get it to recognize my external now, even if I change the name of my original folder, and I can not find a way of making it see those original torrent again. This wouldn't be a HUGE deal if the Mac version let you show it where the DLed files were, but since it can't, it's very frustrating.

Archived