Make Time Machine not backup incomplete files

katav

First, thanks for a great mac app.

It seems like Time Machine backups incomplete files, which makes the size of the backup increase a lot. Incomplete files should be flagged for exclusion from backup (CSBackupSetItemExcluded).

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/MacOSX/Reference/Backup/Reference/reference.html

Also a batch with download speeds on the dock icon would be nice.

You wanted Feature Requests? Multiple requests per thread aren't permitted.

As with most documentation... I don't see how having to use the API makes time machine "user configurable". If there was a whitelist, it should be in System Preferences ><

In any case, thanks for the link, so the devs don't need to search themselves.

First one: valid request, moved thread to the proper place because of it.

Second one: already requested in a large thread in the proper section.

@thelittlefire:

A. I think @katav was referring to in the documentation was CSBackupSetItemExcluded.

B. stop trying to be a moderator. You are not one. Don't act as such.

@thelittlefire

Time Machine does indeed have exclude options.

System Preferences>Time Machine>Options> Add a folder to the "do not backup" list.

However I believe katav was simply asking that the devs include this function by default using system calls, so the user doesn't have to mess around excluding it themselves (as obviously some people aren't even aware of this dialog).

You can exclude Time Machine from backing up certain folders or drives in System Preferences. Developers have the option of flagging files for exclusion as well. This way Time Machine doesn't waste disk space backing up temporary files like caches or incomplete downloads.

I excluded my download folder as well, but ideally I would like my completed downloads backed up without having to worry about it.

Archived