Hacked µTorrent

kerson

I was reading this on a public tracker:

-

A bit of news: [link removed to discourage others from being tempted into downloading it] the site that provided the first uTorrent spoof patches for bitcomet has went a little further.. and now gone and modified uTorrent 1.4 to use DHT and ignore the private flag, just like bitcomet.

-

I hope µTorrent not get blamed/banned on private trackers because of these stupid f**kers that have to cheat to get anything...

Regards

EDIT by silverfire: Link removed. People who should know can get the link from me using other means if necessary.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can someone explain how do you "cheat" by making a client ignore the private flag ? The only thing it would do is uploading to the ppl outside the private swarm, i still dont get why would that be good for a potential cheater.

There's always going to be people who do this... I'm not too surprised. As for whether it'll ruin µTorrent's reputation... I doubt it. If it can, then Azureus' reputation can just as easily be called into question, since it's open source and people can "hack" it to make it do the same.

in my opinion, it'a a personal attack on ludde. on a more open opinion, they did it because the comet's banned and they want to "share" outside of the private tracker..

I'm still not understanding why someone would want to share their membership with complete strangers...it's actually pretty dumb. maybe I'm missing something..?

Hmm, this seems strange alright, I'll be *very* interested to hear what Ludde has to say in this matter. But seriously, has anyone tried this "hacked µtorrent" client yet? perhaps it's just another trojan scam? If it's true, it's certainly a bad day for µtorrent.

Maybe all BT clients should send some sort of "signature" to the tracker that can't be deciphered easily. Maybe some sort of GPG-style signature or a MD5 signature of some sort... the trackers would then keep a database of known clients associated with the signature. If I recall correctly, the client ID is sent in plain text via http. Maybe something separate other than the tracker announce to ID the client used... maybe UDP?

I'm just throwing up ideas since I'm concerned about the hacked version... it's rather pitiful that people would hack away at softwares just so that it'll perform differently from the official ones.

Sixshot, what's to stop them hacking this and just sending the GPG or MD5 signature of the unhacked exe.

Unless you add lots of obsfucation code to the exe, (and probably even then) it WILL get hacked if someone wants to. Or they can just hack the current version. There is not much that can be done about it, even if BT was a secure encrypted protocol, which it isn't. Azureus is open source, anyone can download it, modify it and tell it to upload a uTorrent signature.

There are always going to be people doing this kind of thing, in every sphere of life. Thieves, benefit frauds, crooks etc, etc.

S'life

I'm not sure if you really have any authority when sending such a letter, so I doubt it'll make a difference anyhow. If they'd go through the great lengths to do this, then they're probably not going to stop just because some people random people tell them to =T

Archived