Hacked µTorrent

kerson

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be so sure if this was cheting, unless they said that. In my opinion this screen isn't a strong proof, look at this thread:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=5231.

Plus, sometimes i get very high download like 180kb/s[max of my connection] practically with no practical seeding, abt 2kb/s on the torrent. It can happen when one sweedish guy is uploading with 100kb/s to me, and one japanese with another 50. It's nice :). And common with popular anime torrents.

Oh. and I use pure non modified uTorrent client, also i don't shape any BitTorrent related traffic. So it just works this way here.

Sure, that this could be very malicious cheat presented on the pic, but i think it don't have to be like that.

Bring some stronger proofs, i say :)

[ADD] After a brief research i found a german forum, where they are talking about it, i didn't read it all, but i hadn;t found any proofs of it worikg there, mods can delete this addition in prevention of spoiling bad kids, 'cause it was damn easy to find the link :) at least most of the forum is in german which is quite less popular than english.

I've used Paint to edit pictures...and although it's not the most sophisticated, for simple copy and pastes it's good enough. Even with my unsteady hands I can still line things up to exactly the right pixels if I want to.

In short...

It is trivial to fake something like this.

But ironically, I don't think it's a faked picture. What's more, I'm not convinced it's even a hacked µTorrent v1.4!

The catch is...the window box is inconveniently over other critical information about the torrent. The number of seeds is actually shown at the bottom left as well though. 18 of 18 seeds are connected. (But what's with the 0 in swarm? DHT working on a private torrent?) Maybe found a couple fast uploaders...and wanted to show it off as a "cheat".

Trouble is, as far as I know µTorrent only throttles download speeds if GLOBAL maximum upload rate is less than 6 KB/sec. That says nothing about what you set individual torrents to, especially if you have more than one torrent. Maybe there's some further checks, but it may only require that in total all your torrents have their uploads set faster than 5 KB/sec. Maybe the canceled and stopped torrents shown in the picture are miscounted for that check?

Other than the seeds appearing to be from DHT (outside the swarm/tracker), there seems little shown in that picture that cannot be done using regular µTorrent v1.4. I'm not saying it's not a hacked v1.4...just that 1 screenshot means little.

On a side note, ANY fake µTorrent clients you've seen so far are almost certainly NOT hacked µTorrent clients. Only the most botched hack-job would show up as a "fake"...after all, fakes are detected through their differences from the real thing. Hacks often differ in very small and subtle ways, remotely they probably cannot be detected at all.

I don't think it's hacked at all. There is one hacked client, but it disables the private flag, that's it. I think this is just someone exploiting a weakness (which ludde knows and doesn't care about) with the anti-leech system, where you can cap each torrent individually to 5 kB/s or lower and it works. I bet the tracker claim is BS. :P

Also, the DHT network is always working, and as you can see the torrent isn't using DHT. DHT status: disabled. Really, it's easy to cheat the tracker with any client. Really, really easy.

As for the 0 in swarm, some trackers don't return scrapes in their announces.

There is one hacked client, but it disables the private flag, that's it.

That's a kind of dangerous statement. I mean like, how do you know which client is altered, and which is not. I think that good job is when you can't say so easy it's a fake :)

It similar, to the problem of faked money, you can't say how much of fake money there is :) you can only say how much was found.

Anyway, I belive that you meant that there is one _known_ type of hacked uTorrent, just didn't stated it clearly :).

Cheers.

I think this is just someone exploiting a weakness (which ludde knows and doesn't care about) with the anti-leech system, where you can cap each torrent individually to 5 kB/s or lower and it works.

Well damn, thanks for letting some folks know..... :P

now all those anti anti-leech folks will be happy to know this....

Like some said, damn near anything is hackable. If u know how or learn how. Hell, I learned how to hack/crack .wmv DRM. And it doesnt involve vid capture. It invovles actually stripping DRM out of the files.

I think this is just someone exploiting a weakness (which ludde knows and doesn't care about) with the anti-leech system, where you can cap each torrent individually to 5 kB/s or lower and it works.

well.. using this weakness will affect the ratio on the tracker. if the ratio is too low, you get kicked.

the guy from the screenshot claims that the tracker recognizes him as a seeder instead of a leecher.. and the data he is downloading doesnt affect his ratio!

I dont know if the pic is fake or not.. I just thought I'd show it to you guys.

Well, that's their problem if they screw their ratio. And there's many ways to get the tracker to not receive your download count (I've done it once or twice), it's really very easy, and can be done with any client. I'm sure he's doing it for real, but he didn't hack or mod anything.

My vote is to just encrypt the .exe file for the present.

LOL thats an "smart" solution!! haha

EDIT

You can't make it unhackable, but you can sure make it a bitch to hack, and it is not that difficult (you don't even need a tracker or an encryption):

- the trigger:

- the check:

- the punisment:

Is this mechanism is really neccesary for µTorrent? You decide.

and all of this (shit) to allow you to download copyrighted material??.

Give me a break!

• 3 years later...

DHT should be enabled on all torrents at all time. Anyone who intentionally disables DHT when creating torrents (private back-trackers) should be beaten and raped with a rusty pole.

I know it's mean but far from uncalled for. Torrents are about SHARING. Blocking DHT violates everything bittorrent stands for.

Archived