Extremely Slow Download Rate

p.delval

I cant seem to get anything more than 5 kb/s right now, nor have I ever been able to surpass a download rate of 15 kb/s.

I am new to utorrent and have been reading around the forms but found no real answers.

I have played around with the limitations and just ended up placing them all on unlimited.

From reading, I found out that speed is dependent on the number of seeds as well.

out of 2239, i can only get 9 seeds.

out of 890, i can only get 1 peer.

I have not capped any seeding ratios.

I also turned my firewall off, and it did not affect the download rate at all.

Any suggestions on how to improve my download rate?

hello

got a similar prob, using utorrent on mac. I foward the ports, got it all right, checked and unchecked the upnp thing in preferences, got a green little dot on the lower right corner. and that´s nice, right? at least the speed was acceptable, 200K and over download. but then, without me doing anything else, the little green dot turned orange, and eventually red. now i get shity speeds. tried to change ports, both in utorrent and the smc barricade G router, never got a green dot again.

any thoughts?

thanks

orange or red dot usually means your system firewall is preventing incoming connections... in your firewall (sys_prefs->security) select the "allow all incoming connections" thingy... or if you want the firewall, add uTorrent as an exception... that should do it... (note: with firewall blocking it, the port forwarding etc. wont help)

hi

the thingy was checked already... i got a rather psychotic utorrent activity going on here. got a green light again, and then orange and red withow doing anything... i was told that it´s possibily due to a router firmware issue, and advised to update it. i´ll try that, see if it works.

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I second Ultima's thoughts on DL speed of a select torrent. One issue I have found is the utilization of upload bandwidth with torrents, specially with multiple torrents. This could be (and maybe needs to be slated in the feature request section) related to be unable to individually set torrent upload speed. More to come for I am using uTorrent as my default program for now. The program appears to be running well with very few problems with the core code design and current problems has to do with features needed to be added to the code and GUI.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how to do the port forwarding. The web site provided on here had instructions for port forward on PCs. My router is attached to a PC (that doesn't have utorrent downloaded). Utorrent is on my laptop, which accesses the wireless router for internet connectivity.

Any help?

• 1 month later...

Im having the same problem.

Windows machine performs MUCH better, running through same router, same torrent etc. I know what you're saying that its hard to compare. But the difference between 2kb and 400kb its pretty clear to me ...

Also im a bit confused why utorrents gay upload/download throttling is completely inaccurate. I limit to 8kb (or my connection slows to a halt) but it uploads at 9.2kbs. If i wanted it to upload at 9.2 id of set it to 9.2 kbs.

But then i have the same gayness problem on the windows machine, so im guessing this is utorrent raping my upload intentionally. Wise up

EDIT

I beleive its actually related to the upload throttling. On windows I know if you have it set at anything below 6kb you get throttled. However on the mac it seems higher (for christs sake, its rude not to seed, but it shouldn be forced, thats the business of the torrent, not the torrent client), upping my upload cap to 9kb from 8kb, increased my download speed by about x10. Speeds are still much slower but i cant up my upload anymore, and if its uncapped it affects my connection big time.

Think ill just go to a client that doesnt punish me for making my own decisions. (on my mac anyway)

• 3 months later...

i try to down load ip filter dat,

on the same computer, in the same time transsmit finsh download and utoren is on 10%

what is wrong?

utorrent is definitivly slooooow

even inthe same time utorrent see only one peers

transsmit see alo only one peers but ip are different!

torrent file is downloaded from same tracker

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4942560/IPfilter_2009-06-09

let's try, and you will see

• 5 months later...

i have same problem, downloading on 1mb/s on my pc and hardly at all on my mac. i dont understand things like isp and other explanations ive found in this forum. If anyone could give me a simpler explanation or a guide or something it would be great! tyvm in advance

• 8 months later...

Archived