Fast HTTP Download but slow torrent download

saiyanjin

Hi, all

I have an internet connection from local ISP (Indonesia) which have 2 Mbps DL and 256 Kbps UL.

Usually I can have download rate about 150 KBps (1,2 Mbps) and upload rate about 20 KBps (120 Kbps) per torrent.

Unfortunately about 3 days ago, my download rate per torrent drop to only about 50 KBps and can't go up.

In my utorrent configuration, I have followed Switek's suggestions, which are disabled DHT (2 kinds), disabled LPD, forced outgoing encryption, and dis-allow legacy incoming connections. I also have change incoming ports about 10 times, but still no luck

I have try to download OpenOffice 3.0 torrent distribution, but I still only get 50 KBps download rate.

First, I think my ISP (FirstMedia) have throttled bittorrent traffic, but then when I test to download file (iTunes 8.0.2) from apple's website (HTTP download), my browser show download rate about 200 KBps, that's about 1,6 Mbps. Not convinced yet, then I try to download another file from intel's website, and I still can get about 200 KBps.

What exactly happened with my ISP ? Is it possible they limit the bandwidth for all incoming traffic, except for HTTP traffic ?

How to recover from this situation ?

Thanks for all,

Saiyanjin

Update :

After googling around, I think my ISP use Sandvine device.

Is there any method to fight this ?

Thanks,

Saiyanjin

Your ISP can throttle ONLY BitTorrent and not HTTP if they have the right equipment.

Sandvine usually just disconnects peers/seeds, though it may have some throttling ability as well.

You will likely need to try 'extreme' hiding tricks to get better speeds:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?pid=361747#p361747

(Note: My post immediately following that one explains what settings in uTorrent are similar to the Azureus ones.)

Hi,

How to change encryption settings to only about level 3 or 4 in uTorrent ?

Thanks,

Update :

Sorry, just check Vuze,

Unfortunately I have tried before set "outgoing encryption" to Enabled and "allow incoming legacy connections to disable" (not ticked) ---> Level 3 but no luck so far.

Last tried : set "outgoing encryption" to Forced and "allow incoming legacy connections" to disable (not ticked) ---> Level 4 but still no luck so far.

I'm so desperate on this problem.

Thanks,

Yes, level 5 in that link.

And it's NOT easy to do.

uTorrent CEASES to make any new outgoing connections when net.max_halfopen is set to 0.

You may still get new connections, but only if uTorrent is not firewalled.

If you get >20 KB/sec download then it's still a partial success.

Archived