Upload slots per torrent

What is a good setting for this? When I had slow connection I used to use just one. Now I got a fast one but still a bit worried about a possible situation when half dozen peers suddenly pop out.

Generally speaking you have MAX_SLOTS=UPLOAD_LIMIT/TOTAL_TORRENTS >= 3 KiBps

Meaning for every 3 KiBps upload you should allow 1 upload slot. . . When people set too many slots, it's bad, because you're less likely to reciprocate. This leads to slower downloads, and longer time to completion. ESPECIALLY when you get to ~1 KiBps / slot.

You have GigE upload? I hate you with the passion of 10,000 flaming hot suns.

The formula is there to give a "best guess" of maximum slots without overload while still being "preferred" by other peers. Personally my number is 5, instead of 3, and sometimes when I want to seed only, I lower slots to make it 10 per peer. The faster uploaded data goes to peers... the faster it can go to others (of importance when seeding).

To clarify without sarcasm, Ask your question another way, I don't think you understood what I was saying...

No, sadly I "only" have 30mbit :) There is a possibility of 100mbit though, in near future. But the only limitation lies in the settings at the ISP.

In past I came to the conclusion that the more connections there are the slower the general response of the internets are. So I kinda am trying to figure it out.

In the end I am trying 5 slots per torrent and some 300 global.

Your settings seem to be good.

1 upload slot per 100 kilobits/second upload bandwidth (tested/measured max rather than just what your ISP told you)...so if you really have 30 megabit/second upload bandwidth total, that works out to be 300 upload slots like you're using. If each torrent is allowed 5 upload slots each, then that's 60 active torrents at once.

This should give each upload slot a little over 10 KiloBYTE/second...assuming they're all active at once. Chances are, some active torrents will have fewer than 5 peers trying to download from you...and you may have less than 60 active torrents total.

Archived