BitComet 0.61 built in deception

Dark Shroud

Please stop quoting 10-line posts directly before yours. It's unnecessary and annoying.

And for the record, Bram Cohen does not approve of Peer Exchange. Because it's moving BitTorrent more and more in the direction of Kazaa, eDonkey, etc... And that is not what BitTorrent is supposed to be.

That makes total sense to me. The only reason I want DHT, PeX in BitTorrent is because I want it to replace other p2p networks for me more effectively. (I wouldn't need it at all if I had a Gnutella/eD2k client as nice as µTorrent.) µTorrent with no DHT (and no PeX, obviously) on a private tracker is what I believe BitTorrent should be. I just would like to have PeX and DHT as an option for when I'm trying to grab a file off a larger public site.

I can understand the use of DHT & PeX. I've used them to get files from torrents that were removed/banned from public trackers that were hosting them because they were sued by the RIAA for music and the the owners of the various anime. The joke was on them, all the banned torrents continued for another year thanks to DHT & Pex. Most of the seeds used Azureus, myself included.

The problem is that BitTorrent is more than just a p2p program for shareing illegal content. But it's starting to be seen at that. So I can understand why Cohen and the groups/clients who follow him do not use some of these plugins. Since he could be sued into stoping development on his client & the BitTorrent protocol in general. Even though it would be unfouned, but when has that stopped the RIAA & their cohorts.

If BitComet's author ever got his act together he could make BitComet into a very nice p2p program based off of the BitTorrent protocol. He seems to move towards that direction anyway. Since Azureus remains a resource hog I guess utorrent will be taking the lead as the best.

BitTorrent is no more or less "for sharing illegal content" than any other p2p program. The difference with BitTorrent is that it is faster and more reliable for legal purposes due to the tracker giving you a peer list rather than just waiting to "discover" them via PeX. This translates into it being less reliable for illegal purposes since there is a central point of failure.

DHT and PeX just bypass the central point of failure to an extent, but consider that if we get rid of the trackers BitTorrent is no better than any other p2p client.

Archived