New definition of slow: <1 kB/s *aargh*

ruyen

I really, really hate to be making this thread (like admitting you're lost and having to ask for directions on the road), but I've tried and searched for every solution I could find to figure out why I'm getting dial-up speeds.

The short:

I'm getting about 1kB/s average on my 20mb/768up connection. Yes, 1 kB/s

The long:

The speed ranges from 0 (some files with thousands of Seeders will often not be pulling down data), to 1, and (when I'm lucky) up to a whopping 5 kB/s. It's not uncommon for most down speeds at any given time to be below 1kB/s, UP speeds are about the same. The only thing I know for sure that's causing issues is that I live in a complex that has the building wired and access to the routers aren't possible. So I can't open a port and always have the yellow sign/light. I don't get red, but very rarely will I see it turn green for a short period of time.

-Port Forwarding tests aren't passing, but

-Glasnost test passed with flying colors.

Onto the checklist to get help:

# EVERYTHING you've tried so far:

-I've read Ultima's Troubleshooter;

-Followed the 'Setup Guide', and PortForward's 'Static IP' and 'Router Guide's to a T.

-Forwarded the port on my personal router (not the one in the building) just in case

-Added ports and the .exe to Windows Firewall's exemptions (tried deleting and remaking also)

# The state/value of all of the options you were recommended to change up above.

-Currently default from the Speed Settings, but I've tried tweaking the Upload speed limit up a bit and a couple other values suggested on troubleshooting threads/guides here.

-I've tried killing options such as: UPnP, NAT-PMP, DHT, Peer settings, Encryption options, nothing seems to make a noticable difference at all.

-Can't find an option to reset all uT's settings to Default, but I've done my best to try a variety of setting changes without any luck.

# Color of the network status light: Yellow

# Port Checker: Fail, isn't forwarded

# Speed Guide shows: 768

# net.max_halfopen: Was 8, tried 6 also.

# Operating system: XP pro

# Security software installed: Just Windows Firewall, w/ uT exceptions

# Exact router model(s): NETGEAR WNDR3300

# ISP (Internet Service Provider): TDC

# Type and speed: DSL - ~16mb down; ~750 up

Any help is appreciated. I hate that I'm having to ask at all, but thanks in advance.

PS: While I'm here I might as well ask: For the years I've been using torrents and several different clients, they've always REALLY bogged down any other bandwidth-using actions (surfing, gaming, etc..) and lags Skype and even IM'ing sometimes too. I've always assumed this is normal, but is it really?

Thanks for the reply.

I'm getting the OpenOffice torrent right now, getting about 10kB/s average. Spiked up to 20 at one point, but is hovering between 5 and 15, with an eta 3hr download. Pulling from about 10 total peers, I'll update if it gets higher...

PS: Definitely lagging the rest of my internet usage (just normal page-loads at the moment), probably 10secs to load a normal page like this thread's page.

UPDATE:

The OO torrent got up to a steady 15 kB/s for a while, but I'd still say the overall average was 10.

Archived