I've uploaded the whole DVD but availability is only 1.8xx

rudolfo2

I'm seeding from yesterday.I've uploaded more than one DVD but availabilty is still only 1.8xx.What I'm doing wrong.I'm not superseeding.Is my speed to low or to high,I'm I shooting blanks ??I have 100 peers connected and my speed was set to 50-60 kB/s.I've just increase the speed to 80 kB/s and it looks better.What's the rule ?

The Availability number is not how much you uploaded but rather the number of "distributed copies" around. This is calculated by roughly how much the pieces are around and how many virtual copies are there by assembling all the peers' downloaded pieces together. Let's also say that there happens to be no seeders at the time. With an availability of greater than 1, you can still complete the download because all the peers have the missing pieces to make a complete download. A seeder would not count as an Availability since they have the entire file(s) downloaded and thus have all the pieces.

Correct me if I'm wrong on this. This is roughly what I have gathered having used a variety of clients out there.

if your going by the numbers in uTorrent, then i believe the availability is calculated by the peers in your list, so it might not be accurate. you may have uploaded the entire torrent to several people and helped them reach seeder status, but at that point they drop off your peer list and don't count toward what's reported as the availability.

I believe the thread is about "I've uploaded more than x GB on an x GB torrent but the availability is still beneath 2.0" and that's because, as already mentioned, you're not superseeding. Different peers can request the same piece and that will make you upload more than the size of the torrent.

Another issue can also be the number of upload slots you're using.

Use too few upload slots and you're likely just feeding the fastest connections, which may disconnect when finished downloading...instead of remaining to seed for awhile.

Use too many upload slots and the time to upload 1 chunk to any given client goes up to the point that other seeds/peers are always having to fill your incomplete chunks -- thus creating lots of duplicate data...and pretty much wasting your bandwidth and others' too!

I don't have any good answers to this, except I personally think average upload per slot to maximize what you're seeking is somewhere between 5 KB/sec and 20 KB/sec. There is some math to back up this opinion, but I haven't the tools or skills to absolutely prove it.

Thank everyone for speak up.I've reached now 2.984 availabilty,DVD lenght is 4.03 GB and I've uploaded 5.23 GB and I'm still helping because there's still no second seeder.I'll try my next upload to super-seed.This is my first upload so I'm without experience.Most peers are now at 98.2 % so if I stop seeding the torrent would still get at 100 % ??

Archived