Problem with 1.8.1 Update

torrentnoob222

Hi all.

I hadn't updated uTorrent since I started using it about a year and a half ago, so I decided to do so yesterday from 1.7.1 to 1.8.1. However, once the update was applied and uTorrent restarted, all of my downloads and uploads stopped. On a hunch, I tried the 'Check for Updates' option and received an error message that said "Unable to contact uTorrent update server." It seems to me that something on my computer is blocking uTorrent's access, but my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) is already set to allow it through and the Windows firewall is off (as I don't like having two firewalls up at the same time).

I'm running Windows XP SP2, if it helps, and am connected to a Linksys WRT45G wireless router. Could something in the router be causing the problem? I forwarded a port for uTorrent, but the forwarding check still failed and I removed the port from the list.

Did you remove and re-add uTorrent to the exception list in ZA?

Yes, I removed it and reopened it, then gave it Internet access when the balloon popped up. Would manually re-adding it to the list be any different?

Additional Info: Tried temporarily shutting down ZA to see if it was blocking uTorrent. However, even with ZA down, uTorrent still couldn't/wouldn't connect.

Each torrent reads:

Seeds 0(0)

Peers 0(0)

DHT: 0 nodes (Login)

So, interesting additional information:

I downloaded the Vuze (formerly Azureus) client to try it out, as uTorrent had me at the end of my rope. However, Vuze is apparently also incapable of accessing the Internet. I (obviously) can still browse the Web, but neither BitTorrent client is working. Is there something in the way which BitTorrent clients connect that could've been changed somehow to prevent them working but not browsers and instant messenger programs?

EDIT: Limewire isn't working either.

Was finally able to test uTorrent on other computer. Much to my surprise, it worked just fine (can't use it there due to low hard drive space). I decided to just uninstall Zone Alarm on my main computer (the one I usually used uT on), but uTorrent still isn't connecting to the Internet.

A friend suggested that my ISP could be blocking my peer-to-peer connections, but if that was the case, wouldn't the other computer be unable to connect through uTorrent as well, seeing as how they share the same connection?

As my username implies, I don't know much about torrent solutions, and I'm all out of ideas. Any more suggestions? If you told me baking an armadillo in a pan with live crayfish would help, I'd get right on it.

Yes if your friends who share the same ADSL connection have no pbm with uT, it's a problem related to your computer.

So if you have uninstalled ZA, can you post a fresh HJT & PE log please (with uT running)

Tutorial: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=29748

Don't forget to select utorrent.exe & enable dll mode (ctrl+d) in PE.

It will be useful to see what you have in your computer and if some processes can interfer with uT.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help, but I was finally able to fix the problem today.

It turns out Norton was blocking uTorrent's access, as I apparently had to re-allow it to access the Internet after the upgrade. Only thought about it after a browser upgrade left me unable to surf. An error with Norton prevented an automatic pop-up and made editing firewall access a bit tricky, but that's a different story.

Thanks again, and sorry for wasting your time. Really should've tried this sooner.

Archived