Maybe someone can explain...

burf

I'm always curious how everything works.

Often I'll have a bunch of peers, one serves me a chunk that fails the hash check. But, several other peers are also flagged as failing the hash check. I suppose all of them were serving that particular chunk, and thus, there's no differentiation of which peer

was the culprit.

Eventually, what happens is several good seeders are blocked, with the bad guy... so, I'll reset the bans, especially on older torrents, just to keep things moving. If I can figure which was bad, after a few fails, I'll block him.

Is this just a flaw in bittorrent, or is there something that can be done to differentiate the corrupt peer?

Obviously, this isn't a big issue, but I'm curious.

Thanks for any info!

The main thing is that each validation piece is further broken down into request blocks.

Each peer that contributes a request block for a failed piece gets 1 flag.

After a certain ratio of flagged pieces to successful pieces, the peer gets banned.

Unless the swarm is painfully small, resetting the bans won't help you long-term.

1.8.1 has massively improved hashfail origin detection over previous versions.

Thanks, Dread.

Yeah, I only give it thought or effort, on older, less populated torrents... where I stand a chance to detect the culprit, and freeing the good guys makes a significant difference.

I've had torrents where all the good peers were blocked, and the speed went down to nothing. So, finding the *perp* allowed me to finish the torrent ;)

Archived