Verifying IP Address

Thanks for the info. Maybe may problem is that I don't know enough about utorrent but that is why I came to this forum to hopefully get some help from the experts..:-). I think I have come a long way in two days but I have a ways to go. Two days ago I had heard of bitorrents and that is about it. Since then I read lots of reviews on torrent clients and concluded utorrent was the best. Then I searched ways to protect my privacy and concluded that an open vpn was the best and went with findnot for that.

But now I need to verify that my real IP address is not seen. I know that a VPN is suppose to assure that any program accessing the internet from my computer is suppose to only show their server's IP address and not mine, but I just want to verify it for my own piece of mind. I also know how to go to the many websites through a browser that will tell me my IP address. But utorrent is not a browser.

I am using Vista and I tried to bring up two instances of the utorrent client and I could not do it. Maybe there is a way to do it in Vista and I am not aware? Secondly, the only thing I know how to do with utorrent so far is to download and seed a bittorrent and change a few preferences. But I don't know how to create a bittorrent test file from scratch.

Isn't there a easier way to find out the IP address utorrent is using like looking at a log or have bittorent go to a site that will reveal my IP address to me? With security and privacy being so important these days, I am surprised that utorrent won't just tell me the IP address it is reporting to all these sites. It has no problem reporting the IP address of piers.

If anyone knows how to do this, please let me know. Thank You!

I have changed some setting's on utorrent , because I did not want my IP ADDRESS to come up,and be TRACEABLE.. I started to download something , went into PEERS and DID NOT see my IP address come up, does that mean that I'm now anonymous,and that my IP address can not be traced back to my BROADBAND supplier,then to me..anyone's help is greatly appreciated

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@PunchUsPilot:

The IP/Hostname to report to tracker field allows you to specify your IP address when reporting to the tracker. This is used in the case where your WAN (Internet) IP address is not reported correctly to the tracker for whatever reason (might be that you are behind a proxy server). Note that you can type a hostname in this field, so if you use a dynamic DNS service, you can enter your domain into this field. Also, realize that not all trackers pay attention to this information, and often ignore it.

So if you don't have the use, let blank this function.

• 1 month later...

I too am interested in any way of checking what IP address utorrent is using to identify me.

I understand that my torrent client has to broadcast my ip address, in order to successfully achieve a connection with other peers.

I also understand that I must use a 'vpn-like' service in order to 'mask' my native, ISP assigned IP address, and have therefore subscribed to a couple of VPN services; one offering me a PPTP VPN, and thher offering an SSL solution via openvpn.

However; being paranoid enough to want to mask my ip address means that I'm paranoid enough to wish to check whether my VPN services are actually doing what I paid for - masking my 'real' ip address over the bittorrent protocol.

Is there a way to reveal the IP address that utorrent has identified as mine and by which I am being identified to others? I could then compare the given ip address with that assigned to me by my VPN provider(s) to confirm whether my VPN is 'working'

I'm not very fluent in computing and have 'muddled' my way thus far, so I'd really appreciate any step-by-step help or advice.

Many thanks

PS: Moogly - I had a go at your solution but couldn't connect to my own tracker from my other PC! I was trying to share the torrent between two computers connected to the same router - was this my error? Maybe I didn't create the torrent properly, it was the first time I tried. Could you post me a little more detail on how to do what you suggest please? Sorry for being clueless!

• 6 months later...

Archived