Repeatable Error: Parameter is incorrect

asdfff

It always happens when, during the middle of a torrent of say, 50 files, I decide that I don't want 20 of them and set them to "do not download". It can be as little as setting 2 files to "do not download" out of 4 files, perhaps even less.

Is there a way to work around this? when selectively downloading I have to, hmm, resort to azureus.

EDIT: More info..."that data is invalild" is the variation that occurs when I set some files to "do not download" BEFORE I start the torrent.

specs: P3-900mhz, 128 ram, 98se, utorrent 1.4 but I have seen the error on a P4m-1.7hgz, 256ram, XP, utorrent 1.4

• 3 weeks later...

hi. I see the same error in uT 1.4 (and 1.2, 1.3...) on win98 every single time I deselect some files in a torrent.

First I get "The parameter is incorrect", then I hit "Start" again, then soon after, I see "The file is invalid", then I hit "Start" again, and finally the torrent resumes and I usually have no problems at all. why is this necessary?

I never see these errors when all the files are set to download normally. I have never changed the Advanced Options (my bt.compact_allocation is set to "false"). I have Global connections at 50 and Connected peers per torrent to 12, and this never appears to be a problem.

otherwise I love uTorrent! thanks to everyone who works on it and supports it.

Firon -

thanks for the reply.

I just tried 1.4.1 beta 421 with a new torrent, selecting only 1 file out of 23, and saw the same sequence of events.

Some downloading, then "Error: The parameter is incorrect", I hit "Start", then "Error: The data is invalid", then I "Start" again, uTorrent does a hash check, then the torrent behaves fine (completes and seeds).

• 2 weeks later...
Some downloading, then "Error: The parameter is incorrect", I hit "Start", then "Error: The data is invalid", then I "Start" again, uTorrent does a hash check, then the torrent behaves fine (completes and seeds).

Same thing happens to me every time with partials downloads (1.4 FINAL, and 425 beta, Win98 SE)

Thx

• 2 weeks later...

I´ve just tried the latest beta (1.4.2 build 434) and the same behavior is happening: Open a torrent with multiple files (50 aprox.) e selected to only download 5 files. It connects fine, starts downloading but 10/15 minutes later, the "Error: The data is invalid" apears. I hit "Start", uTorrent does a hash check, then the torrent behaves fine.

This always happens with selective downloads. If I choose to download all files, it connects and download without any problem.

Win98 SE, compact allocation=OFF, Global connections at 120, Connected peers per torrent to 60.

If more info required, I can reproduce the error.

Thanks to Ludde, and all the guys that work in utorrent. Exceptional work!!

• 1 month later...

Just to confirm I also have seen this error twice, and share similar paramaters and circumstances.

Using Win98SE, and get the error when set most files to DON'T Download, keeping only one file to download, then starting the download. Seeds and peers are found, some data is shown arriving in the Files tab, then the download halts with the message Error: Paremeter is incorrect.

Using uTorrent 1.5

Compact allocation has never been changed from the default off (false).

All great otherwise. Will have to try repeating the Start, and see - if like the others - that it eventually continues without error.

I've already mentioned this to ludde, though he hasn't had a chance to look into it yet.

In the meantime, have you tried turning off the partfile (will only apply to new torrents) to see if it stops the error? (to see if the partfile is related or not)

Sorry for the delay replying... Still got seeding holding me back from experimenting.

I've kept the partfile setting off, and haven't had the error recurr since, but I haven't exactly repeated the previous circumstances.

I've learnt to select files for 'Dont Download' BEFORE starting a torrent, and doing it this way I've not had the error (but that may not be relevant).

On the previous occasions when I did see the error (and partfile was 'true') I'd already started the torrent, and data had arrived into most files... I then selected the 'Dont Download' option for the majority of files, only to fairly shortly have the error occur.

I'm guessing it's either the post-start change to 'Dont Download' that is behind the bug, or the partfile setting not being 100% with Win98 for some reason.

Hope this helps... might be another 2 weeks before I can experiment without my data cap impairing the trial.

• 6 months later...

I've just had the same error 500Mb through a 600Mb download.

2 parts - part 2 deselected before start

Windows 98SE

uTorrent V1.6 (474)

diskio.use_partfile True

bt.compact_allocation False

Global connections at 30

Connected peers per torrent to 30

Upload slots 7 (Disallow additional)

No HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\MaxConnections="100"

So I've set -

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\MSTCP\MaxConnections="100"

diskio.use_partfile False

Then closed down and restarted and I'll see how it goes from here. At least it allows a restart - didn't even do an error check.

Thanks for the info. guys :)

You may want to lower half open connection rate as low as 4...though that's only remotely possible to be related to what's triggering the error. Win 98SE, much like Win XP SP2, doesn't like high connection rates.

Once you've shared files, any peers and seeds you're connected to may still think you're still sharing those files (or seeking to download those files) even if you deselect them. So there is a small window of time between when you deselect them and any long-connected peers+seeds either try to download from one of them or try to upload a missing piece of one. Either download or upload attempts may trigger the error.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, but have been using utorrent for a while now in preference to other clients.

I'm posting in this thread as I have just got this error ... and no, the FAQ does NOT solve the problem this time as I am currently NOT using selective downloading - there is only one file in this download and it is the ONLY torrent I am currently trying to get. I may have had it before but it hasn't stopped me from getting a file - I'm guessing I probably just hit start again and it worked. Not this time. The difference this time from what I have observed is that the file I'm trying to get is bigger than 4GB and that's a problem in Win9X (I'm running 98SE still, but it would be a problem in anything from 95 to ME). I worked that out by trying to download the file in both BitLord and Azureus - both came up with the same error. Bitlord however, shed a bit more light on the cause by saying that I was trying to download a file larger than 4GB on a FAT32 drive and to try changing to an NTFS drive instead. Of course, that's not possible on a Win9x system. :-( (well, not as far as I know anyway)

Whether anyone has written some sort of utility as a workaround to the FAT32 large file problem, I don't know as yet, but I'm sure there is a talented programmer out there who may have done something about tricking Win9x into being able to use files larger than 4GB.

While this doesn't solve the problem, it give a bit more info as to possible causes and the possible solutions, if any. If anyone has managed to solve the 4GB limit problem in 9x, please let me (and probably many others) know how you did it.

bb from Oz.

• 11 months later...
--- 2008-01-08: Version 1.8 alpha (build 7660)

- Fix: elusive "The parameter is incorrect" and "The data is invalid" errors on Win98 (old partfiles with this error are corrupt, sorry)

As the changelog says, old partfiles are corrupt. Please stop the torrent, delete the partfile, and force-recheck.

Archived