one question

dynamite_0916

Not Firefox, any non-IE browser. Well, it's helpful. I've not seen a single noticeably damaged box running non-IE.

Spyware killers just tend to find "tracking cookies" in FF/Opera et al. Just clear your "private data" on exit and you'll be fine (unless you have some reason not to). I do ocassionally run some sort of anti-spyware scan after installing any program that I don't trust completely, but I definitely don't run any on-access spyware scanner or anything that loads itself in the background (cough MS Anti-Spyware).

• 2 weeks later...

I just got hit by some spyware when I forgot to re-install Spy Sweeper (accidently re-installed Windows recently). It was called Spyware Strike/Spyware Ax. It gives fake Windows update alerts about u having spyware and says "click here for help" in the taskbar. Then it send u to their site for a bogus anti-spyware app. When looking for help removing it, a site recommended Spyware Doctor.

I'm gonna keep this instead of Spy Sweeper cuz between the 2, Spyware Doctor had documentation about the spyware I got hit with, Spy Sweeper didnt. I assume if I had SS running, I wouldnt have got hit with it. But I like the default settings on Spyware Doctor: block all, then u go in the settings and decide what to let thru; it wont let my PC monitoring software start on start-up for nothing. (its a keylogger.) I can run it, but it wont let it autostart. I can live with that.

On a side note, I dumped my Norton IS suite for:

Zone Alarm Pro (just the firewall & anti-spyware. didnt install the anti-virus or anti-spam. installed the anti-spyware for the hell of it.)

BitDefender Pro Plus 9 (just the anti-virus. I dont need the firewall if Im using ZA Pro)

Archived