Having trouble with uTorrent

Slevin73

Hello, I am having some kind of trouble with uTorrent.

I got a 10Mbit/s connection (Very fast) but I can only download at 70Kb/s with 1538 seeds. My current network is set like this: I got one router (Linksys WRT54G) connected into the modem, and this computer is connected into the router. I doubt my connection is the source of the problem. Also, I get this little yellow triangle in the bottom and sometimes it becomes a red circle. I tried Port Forwarding, and I did as portforward.com told me (I found my router in the list and followed step-by-step), but without success, it stays yellow or red. Now I played with all the settings, re-booted, erased settings.dat and settings.dat.old from %appdata%/uTorrent, tried many many different stuff, but nothing changed. I also tried turning off the firewall as suggested, still nothing changed. I do have the exceptions turned in the Firewall. I also got Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition and Avast on, I don't know if they have P2P protections or firewalls that could be blocking the torrents. The torrents ARE downloading, but at less than 100kb/s, which kills me since I got that many seeders and that 10Mbit/s connection. I also got alot of free Hard Drive space. I did the basic stuff like changing the values in the preferences and etc, but I still get this cr*ppy speed. I also checked this forum, found this: http://utorrent.com/faq.php#Special_note_for_users_with_Linksys_WRT54G_GL_GS_routers

But it doesn't apply to me, since I have FirmWare v8 (Firmware Version: 8.2.03 build 008, Nov. 8, 2007)

When I test to see if the port is forwarded correctly (In the Speed Guide window) I get this message:

Welcome to the µTorrent Port Checker.

A test will be performed on your computer to check if the specified port is opened.

Checking port 16881 on 192.168.1.xx...

Error! Port 16881 does not appear to be open.

Please see www.portforward.com for more information about how to map a port.

Please make absolutely sure that PeerGuardian2 or Protowall is allowing utorrent.com (72.20.34.145) in either of those programs. Those of you using ipfilter.dat should make sure the list does not include the website's IP. After making sure of this, re-run this test by refreshing the page (F5).

I run the following if it can help:

uTorrent build 1.8.1

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition

avast!

Linksys WRT54G Router (Firmware Version: 8.2.03 build 008, Nov. 8, 2007)

Windows XP SP3

Pentium 4 CPU Prescott

EVGA 8800GT

3Gb RAM

640Gb HDD

Intel D915GEV motherboard

If you could just send me a to-do list or a to-check list, it would really help. I'm not too familliar with the Network settings and terms, so please bare with me. Also, if possible add pictures, because my Windows is in french, I can do the translation, but sometimes the french is kind of different or isn't exact translation.

Any help would be appreciated, or you can mail me at Daviscooper2k3@hotmail.com

Thanks,

Slevin

How can I stop the Symantec Firewall ?

Also, I got 650Kbit/s upload which is closest to 10Mbit/s.

I don't know if that might be the problem overall, but I set my torrents to High Bandwith Allocation, Unlimited Download Speed and 1kb/s upload speed. So my upload is only under 1.0kb/s.

Actually:

Maximum Upload Rate: 1120

Global Download Rate Limit: 0

Global Maximum Number of Connections: 800

Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent: 125

Number of upload slots per torrent: 25

Use additional upload slots if upload speed is < 90% CHECKED

For the Firewall, how am I supposed to uninstall it ?

I think I only have:

AV Engine 5.0 Definitions

Avenge 1.5 MicroDefs2 Corp

LiveUpdate

Symantec Antivirus Corporate Client NT

Thanks for answering, and I set upload so low, because my Internet company count the upload as part of my download limit of 100Gb. So if I upload 50Gb, I can only download 50Gb...

Then lower all these similarly:

Global Maximum Number of Connections: 10

Maximum Number of connected peers per torrent: 5

Number of upload slots per torrent: 1

...since you're trying not to waste bandwidth uploading and downloading torrents.

I haven't use anything by Symantec in awhile since it offered no protection to a virus that was over 6 months old.

Archived