Download managers - recommendations

hofshi

can anyone please recommend a good (and preferably free) download manager?

could you please specify if you think that a download manager is even needed, and what are the advantages of the one you recommend?

I like to surf using Firefox, if that makes any difference.

thanks...

i've been using download master for a couple of months and it's OK.. it's free, no bugs.. the only bad thing is that it's in Russion.. i hate russion (no offence for the russions :P) but i understand it (because of it's similarity to bulgarian) so it works for me.. well english is better but ... no good alternatives.. if someone knows a good download manager in english he could share it with us... (flashget sux, DAP sux, getright sux..) :)

I'm using Internet Download Accelerator ... Download Master is the free alternative of this program.. dAbReAkA .. why don't u try it - i made the bulgarian localization for it :)

hofshi >> if u're using Firefox then DownThemAll extension will be very suitable for your needs :)

can anyone please recommend a good (and preferably free) download manager?

could you please specify if you think that a download manager is even needed, and what are the advantages of the one you recommend?

I like to surf using Firefox, if that makes any difference.

thanks...

I use GetRight. It is basically free - it bugs you ever once in awhile, but you never really have to pay up or even uninstall/reinstall the thing. The new ones have a cute feature that in theory allows you to mix FTP with BT, though I am not sure how well it works.

dAbReAkA, 1c3d0g: thanks... I appologize for the stupid question, English is not my native tongue.

I already Installed FreeDownloadManager but I'm having trouble with it.

I tried to d/l a video file that I got in Gmail. I selected "open with Flashgot" and it didn't d/l it.

I resorted to downloading it the usual way. Is there any special setting that should be used after installation? Should I have removed the "flashgot" extension?

thanks...

StarDownloader splits files into parts and downloads them simultaneously. WackGet is just a GUI for wget (however a very impressive GUI for it).

FlashGet is another free one I've used before. http://www.amazesoft.com/ (it also splits files into chunks or "jets" as it calls it, I think).

You can try WackGet without installing it (unlike the others). Just get the zipped binaries.

-Ares

Archived