Download managers - recommendations

hofshi

I am surprised that so many people like installing unnecessary shit. :P

Come on, when was the last time you needed a multi-threaded download? Anything that needs "managing" comes through BT (= µT) for me. :/

Hence why I use WackGet. A <300KB frontend for wget is pretty nice.

-Ares

Yep, but download managers don't usually help much with that. All I need is something that allows me to pause, stop and resume downloads, like Opera's (and I think Firefox's) download managers. Apparently nobody else here counts them as download managers though. :/

I usually just use Firefox's. But on slow modem connections, with some ISPs, I've noticed data loss for some reason. Every time I would download it with Firefox, it would end prematurely (without an error message). WackGet has never done that.

-Ares

I'd throw in another vote for wackget, I've been using it for years now and it's perfect for what I need. In this day and age of broadband the need for the "accelerator" part is lessened a lot, really all I need is something that can pause, resume and schedule downloads. More often than not I just use the built in manager in Fx with the DownloadStatusbar addon.

• 1 year later...

Hi, I've recently bought Download Accelerator Premium, and, when I try to download a Torrent I found with uTorrent, I click on 'Download Torrent'. DAP then opens up, and I click 'Download'. But instead of downloading the whole 350MB programme, it only downloads a 200-oddKB file.

I'm probably missing something really obvious with this, but can anyone advise me how to download the whole Torrent with DAP?

Also, my Internet connection often crashes while I'm downloading torrents. I've configured my Norton firewall and Netgear router to allow the port I use for torrenting, but I still frequently get crashes.

Anyone have any ideas why, and how I can solve this? And is DAP a good download manager, or have I been sold a turkey?

Any help would be really appreciated!

the 200 KiB file is the torrent. No you probably won't get help here with programs other than uT. Why don't you use uT? My guess about your "crashing" is since you're using netgear and DAP probably doesn't include the ability to fine-tune your settings for your connection it is simply overloading the hardware which is then crapping out.

As far as my views, I use wget, and the new pause/resumeable download manager for FF3.0 beta :D

• 2 weeks later...

I use Internet Download Manager. And it's one the best of all i have been using. there's 30 day trial, costs 30$, easy to find full :) this manager allways get's the maximum of mine internet line what i can't say about built in managers in firefox or ie. Long ago used dap but didn't liked ui .. verrrry crapy. also idm has this "advanced integration feature" which allows to take over any download that any aplication is trying. for example some aplications that updates itself and updates are very big, you can take over and save it for another pc's, or take over windows updates and download once install on 20 pc in your network. don't know maybe other managers has this feture too but since i found IDM there was no need for me to search for another client. Also if you translate IDM to your language you'll get 2 sn for free

Archived