Why is uTorrent in Windows so much faster than on Mac?

jooleyen

• 2 weeks later...

Utorrent on mac is way slower than the windows version here aswell. Ive been trying to find a fast torrent client for mac for a long time now and i had hoped utorrent would be my sollution, as it is in windows enviroments, but im no longer sure. Although vuze or the other alternatives arent any better. In windows, using utorrent, i get about 5.7 mb/s whereas i get about 4,7 - 5 mb/s using any client in osx. Torrents for mac still sucks, wich is a pain for me cos i really wanna migrate to a full mac envireoment at home, ridding myself of anything windows based.

Ok folks here is a possible solution to the issue. Lets say that there is 50 ppl uploading a torrent and 50 ppl downloading a torrent and you have two machine downloadning the same torrent with peer requests are made out and #1-5 (out of 1-50) uploading respond to the request and #20-30 (out of 1-50) downloading respond but they are uploading at different rates (what ever that rate maybe i.e. #20 @ 5kb/s #21 @ 1kb/s ... etc. etc. same goes for the uploaders) and the total download for that torrent is 50kb/s and on the second client you have connected to #40-50 (out of 1-50) uploading and their total upload speed is 100kb/s, which will give you a quicker download speed. In the end, two different clients will not always connect to the same peers, so in the end you will have two different download speeds. I have from torrent to torrent and time to time on the same torrent experienced different speeds with many clients over the years, and this is due to everyone uploading at different speeds. By the way I have found UT/Mac to be very stable on OS 10.5.6 and less resource heavy than other BT clients currently out there. Yes UT/Mac does not have all the features ... yet (remember we are in beta still), but I was a hardcore fan Transmission, but to many bugs in their stable version. I have on UT/Mac had download speeds on torrents over 500kb/s, so how fast do you need to go. Hope this helps and explains the issue. But NoOneButMe says it in the simplest form in him/her comment on 2008-12-30.

I did not have any bad experience in speed problems since everything is adjusted well. I use a cable modem to connect to the internet and even sometimes I`m beyond my physicial speed limitations. :) Upper limit: 2.5 MB/sec.

Check your ports, check your OS X firewall, check your manually installed firewall (if there`s one) and check your router settings!

For instance, the yellow light symbolizes that you can have incoming connections, but not all of them.

Go and check, check, check...and wait. It is not said that all torrents are fully available for the whole time.

iMac 2.8 | 2GB | 10.5.6

• 3 weeks later...

My experience is also that torrents are much slower on my iMac than on my PC running Vista. I am running a new iMac with Leopard 10.5.6 and I have checked all port forwarding and the firewall and so on. If I am downloading the exact same torrent on my PC via the exact same internetconnection I get approximatly twice the speed on my PC than on my mac.

I now that it is hard to compare to downloads with each other but I have repeated the test several times. I stopped the torrent on my mac, started on the PC and waited about 10mins the download speed was up to 350kb/s. Stopped on the PC and tried on my mac, DL speed 150-170kb/s after 10mins. I have repeated this several times and it is the same all the time. It doesnt matter if I try the transmission client, it is also about the same speed as utorrent.

Could this be some kind of issue with the OS? Everything else runs fast on my mac besides the torrents.

Edit a few hours later:

I have installed Parallells desktop running Windows XP Home Ed. under my Leopard 10.5.6, and I am running utorrent (PC) 1.82. When downloading the exact same torrents with this solution it is twice the speed!

Strange??!

• 3 weeks later...

Fredd, I noticed that fiddling with the connections boosted mac utorrent's speeds, not quite up to what I get under XP but pretty close. The connections issue can be tricky. When I first started using p2p I discovered that my performance was awful because of the network card in my computer. Said card was fine for most casual use but the high number of concurrent connections would cause it to absolutely flake out. There were a lot of posts with complaints about this particular card at the time. Swap out the NIC, connections were stable and dependable.

Be cautious with the connections, though -- add too many and you'll be sacrificing a large chunk of your bandwidth to overhead that nets you nothing.

I think this is a lot of Bee-Ess.

For me, the speed seems to be the same on both platforms. Files of the same size that download on my Mac or my PC usually finish in about the same amount of time, seeds permitting. You'd have to sit there and log the average speed for two (of the same) torrents simultaneously on identical network setups (but not on the same network) and then perhaps you'd have some sort of basis to claim the Mac version is "slower" somehow.

For those saying that they did comparative speed runs for torrents and got wildly slower speeds from the Mac µtorrent, I just don't believe it. Sorry. I am able to max out my connection downloading torrents in both the Windows and Mac versions. However, I'm pretty savvy when it comes to networks and configuration.

Frankly, I feel this is just horribly unscientific speculation. Not to mention the Mac version has been out a very short time compared to the more mature Windows version. If anyone has been paying attention, they'd know that the Windows to Mac port process isn't easy. :|

You're wrong, Bizz. You can't speak for what others are experiencing, just as I can't speak for yours. But I would speculate that you had slow connections right off the install before you messed around with the settings. As I said, I'm pretty much at XP speeds with .0.9.0.4 at this point BUT was really, really slow with the default settings. And the withdrawn "upgrade" really hosed things.

Now its true that torrents can vary in speed considerably and even the same torrent can be up and down and all over the place. But anyone who has been using bittorrent clients for a while has a feel for what's typical, both for the torrents and their own broadband connection. I know a well-seeded Linux distro will be at the upper end of my connection's capacity whereas a thinly-seeded one will give a spotty performance. If I observe that distro running at 75 to 80% of my capacity for the entire transfer, then I can assume there should be a similar performance under OS X. If I'm only getting 60 to 70%, that's slower.

I'm new to macs but the comments others have made indicate bittorrent on the mac has been a thing of pity, people would rather run utorrent under WINE than any other other native clients. So utorrent really is an improvement over what was available before and, given that it is a beta under development, should continue to improve in time.

I can relate. I was downloading a certain torrent in osx and has speeds maxing out at 80k/s. I rebooted into windows and started the same torrent and got speeds averaging 250k/s and peaking at 350k/s. Exact same torrent. For now i just reboot into windows and leave my torrents on while i am at work. The windows version will put my comp to sleep after seeding is done so i can feel a little greener too :P

I'm sure the bugs will be worked out eventually. I'm still curious as to why mac/pc networking is so slow. It's faster to just dump files to a keychain and walk it over to the other computer than to use the network! Sneakernet FTW. I'm sure there's a solution out there, I just haven't twigged onto it yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived