uTorrent alpha 13910 and Windows 7 beta - firewall issue

visum

uTorrent not able to get through Windows 7 beta 1 (build 7000) firewall.

I've tried messing with the manual firewall settings, UPnP, router port forwarding, etc. - nothing seems to work - constant yellow triangle in uTorrent with "Error opening Windows firewall: 0x80070005" upon startup.

Run as admin seems to be the same (fluctuates between yellow triangle and red circle). Though I've been further messing with the various Windows Firewall settings (W7 has Public and Private Network settings) - added 4 different uTorrent exceptions to the list and now it seems to work - cool

Even though I now have a green circle, the transfers seem oddly slow - not like before

Windows 7 Firewall exceptions (both private and public networks)

* two different µtorrent.exe exceptions (does not allow one to remove them so they may be created when the program is active)

* µTorrent (TCP-In) - Allow µTorrent network traffic with Edge Traversal

* µTorrent (UDP-In) - Allow µTorrent network traffic with Edge Traversal

doesn't seem to require specific port settings

hi guys.. seems you're having some problems making Utorrent run properly in Windows 7 Beta concerning NAT i.e. the network ok signal

solution:

1) If your're running Utorrent for the 1st time, let Windows 7 beta firewall detect its inbound and outbound connections and if the firewall asks to unblock/block new program, just click the "unblock" button

2) Open "Windows Firewall with Advanced Security" and check out the "Inbound Rules", the Firewall in Win7 Beta has 2 network classifications pertaining to programs connecting through your network (i.e. Private/Public) and it adjust inbound & outbound connection rules accordingly

3) Utorrent has 6 Inbound rules logged in Windows Firewall (3 UDP & TCP protocols on my Win7Beta test rig and may vary on your list) and it seems Windows Firewall has blocked 2 connections (visible thru a red sign on the left side of Utorrent), 1 UDP & 1 TCP connection under Private profile

4) Right-click on properties under the General tab, under the Actions section there are 3 checkbox choices:

Allow Connection

Allow Connection if Secure

Block the Connection

Seems the default is "Block the Connection", just tick the "Allow Connection" and your network status in Utorrent will go green

Been observing this problem since day 1 of Win7 Beta release, so far this method has resolved my Utorrent connection issues and downloading at max speed on my 3Mbit connection.

And also, if you're having slow downloads still, try increasing the Half-Open connections in Win7 Beta (default is 10).. the method on increasing it by using a VistaTcpPatch GUI fix in Vista also works in Win7 Beta.

Hope this little contribution has helped you guys. Ü

-=X3ME15 - Win7 Beta Tester=-

for some reason, the downloads are still slower than normal - have half-open connections set as 200 in Windows 7 - and 20 in uTorrent (net.max_halfopen)

i've set my half-open connection to infinity (∞) and only used default settings in uTorrent (net.max_halfopen = 8) and still getting maximum throughput.

maybe its not on the uTorrent setting but on the dsl/cable line or your modem/router & maybe the settings also? i might be wrong considering i'm just speculating the problem.

-=X3ME15 - Win7 Beta Tester=-

Broadband connection and configuration hasn't changed since going to Windows 7 beta and uTorrent alpha

Regarding 20 halfopen, just trying different settings to see if the speed improves.

-----

Update: 01.10.09

Installed Windows 7 beta last week - same speed issues with alpha 13910 (about a third or fourth normal speed). then installed 1.8.1 again (replacing the alpha) - speed is instantly back up again (on Windows 7 beta still)

Archived