what is fair?

sp1zy

hi, i am on 256k adsl,and using the beta u torrent. the speed tool meeter sets the uploading speed

limit to 22k, but i end up uploading tow times the files i am downloading..is that fair?

shouldnt it be the same rate(the downloaded= the uploaded) or what?

and plz tell me what about the UPNP in my router...should i enable it or disable it? is it realted to

u torrent? thx

Lowering your upload slots to only 2-4 total (either 1-2 if you're doing 2 torrents at once, or 2-3 if you're doing 1 torrent at a time) might also help your download speeds.

There seems little point in making lots of connections with your connection. Even 60 max and 30 per torrent is probably overkill.

If you do manual port-forwarding in your router, UPnP should be disabled. Manual port-forwarding almost always outperforms UPnP in terms of download/upload speeds in µTorrent. It also lowers how much your CPU has to do.

ps; "uploading:downloading ratio of 2:1 or more is that fair," you ask...

..depends how much you believe in give and take.. i know a guy who uses torrent to be a giver.. so far in life he has uploaded over 2 terabytes, and downloaded about 50 megabytes.. that would give him a ratio to 40,000:1 and youre wondering if 2:1 is fair. lol :)

It sounds like your connection is 256/64 (in kBits). In that case, try capping the upload to 5-6kB/s and see how it behaves. Also set global connection per torrent to something like 30-50 and max connections to a 100 or so.

As for fair.. You'd be doing good 'just' seeding back a single full copy (1:1 ratio), But might want to seed more depending on your feeling and choice.

about upnp in the router... one guy said enable it and the other said

disable it..

My disable UPnP suggestion is conditional -- IF you do manual port-forwarding on you router, then you don't need UPnP (which does that automatically for a performance/stability cost).

Going here can tell you how to manually port-forward your router:

http://www.portforward.com/routers.htm

Archived