µTorrent 1.4 opens thousands of connections?

kasakka

I just happened to look at my firewall (Agnitum Outpost) stats while using µTorrent and with 3 torrents open µTorrent was having nearly 4000 connections open! Now this just seems crazy to me considering that I have global max connections capped to 700 and max connections per torrent to 125. By comparison BitComet shows no such thing, with the number of connections being in the hundreds. The thousands of connections thing isn't even a temporary situation, during the whole download there were that many connections open. Another thing that's really weird is that even when using one torrent that had about 1200 peers, my firewall showed 1700 connections. It's not a bug in the firewall either, since netstat in command prompt showed equal numbers.

I guess Outpost counts every UDP packet as a connection. PeerGuardian 2 behaves similarly, I think. :/

I don't think so, considering that when using BitComet it reports hundreds of connections, while µTorrent has thousands even on one torrent. And like I said, netstat seems to show the connections too.

• 1 month later...

EDIT: Disabling DHT didn't seem to be the issue. After restarting uTorrent I no longer got the 4000 connection problem. All I know is that when I have 1000s of connections open the whole connection comes to it's knees - trackers stop responding, webpages won't open etc. No problems in BC.

The weirdest thing is that I get more connections than should be even possible - way less peers, seeds (from tracker or DHT). Restarting µTorrent can help.

The thing is I'm not! I should have a few hundred peers at most per torrent and with a few torrents open I'm seeing several thousand connections in my firewall status. It doesn't seem to happen all the time either, sometimes it works normally. I've got a 8/1 Mbps ADSL connection.

Your firewall may be holding connections open to evaluate them even after µTorrent has discarded/attempted to close them. So these connections pile up...until the firewall overloads or the connection does!

Try running TCP view from www.sysinternals.com to see how many connections are REALLY open. And close all connections that are in various failed states.

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this will solve your problem, I also use Outpost and recently it reported utorrent to open 4000 ports when i have only three torrents active and my net connection slowed to a crawl.

Browse the forum and couldn't find a solution, so I uninstalled Outpost and ran utorrent to see if the problem was caused by Outpost, I notice an error message that I didn't see before with Outpost running, "An operation on a socket could not be performed because the system lacked sufficient buffer space or because a queue was full".

Went to check the faq and notice that it relate to halfopen connections setting and so went to lvllord site and notice there was a notice that microsoft updated tcpip.sys in Feb (i only updated windows recently) and after patching the tcpip.sys again, there no more thousands of ports open and no slow down of net surfing.

Hope its help.

EDITED: Oh i use utorrent v1.5

• 2 months later...

Ok, still no luck. My connection still totally jams with Outpost and µTorrent. TCPView reports far fewer connections so it seems that µTorrent half-open connections keep racking in Outpost. Why this doesn't happen with other BT clients I don't know.

Note: incoming UDP packets will continue for awhile -- even DAYS -- after disabling DHT, as other clients still retry old ips.

Still wonder which client(s) are responsible for those...

As for the problem. Kasakka, have you tried uninstalling Outpost?

Tried reinstalling it, didn't help. Turning off (shutting the whole process down) fixes the problem. With BitComet Outpost reports incoming packets to the port I use for ages in the log but with uTorrent it shows open connections.

Archived