ISP Throttling

frozenflame

My isp is BT. Everytime it gets to 4.00pm in the day my download lowers to 5 kbps! So i looked at the faq and found that bt throttles bitorrent at certain times of the day, and since it does it every day at 4.00pm on the dot I assume this is the reason. My question is how can I get around this problem, if I can at all?

Thanks in advance.

Neil

There are a few possible solutions I found on the net, but none of them worked for me. Here's one:

Got into Options> Preferences> BitTorrent and set outgoing to Forced. That's somehow supposed to fix throttling problem.

I have bell.ca and they throttle my bandwidth from 4 pm to 2 am. The only real solution is to download stuff at night or in the morning.

Ha ha, I have the same problem in South Texas w/ Cableone.Net. Which is funny, b/c I'm paying for MY bandwidth, but got told I was abusing it by using MORE. I asked for proof on how I was using MORE, but they could only read what was on their ticker "member abuses bandwith" .

Either way, I had a fun time that day, but I'm in the same boat, 4:00 PM - 4:00 AM. I'm not being FAIR to my fellow non-using-what-they-paid-for bandwith ppl. Obama's spreading the wealth has arrived @ the ISP levels... :)

Cable networks are based on a shared bandwidth pool. Your bandwidth is also your neighbor's bandwidth...and you're all fighting for a cut of the bandwidth "pie".

Putting your heavy downloading/uploading outside of peak hours should reduce your ISP's bandwidth burden. If they have a monthly bandwidth limit, then it won't matter WHEN you use bandwidth if you exceed that amount.

Ask your ISP what the contention ratio is...or how many customers on average are sharing a single download channel.

Mine, ComCast has an average download contention ratio of greater than 45:1 and 275 customers on average sharing a single 38 megabit/second download channel. The FCC forced that information out of them...they wouldn't tell me directly. (I actually calculated the contention ratio myself.)

It'd hurt their bottom line if you rang them up and complained.

But unless speeds are low outside of "regularly scheduled hours", you would get laughed at...as they reserve the right to cripple your line something terrible during peak hours, ESPECIALLY for BitTorrent traffic!

Archived