Does uTorrent scale back?

VulcanTourist

Is uTorrent's use of upstream bandwidth graceful? If it detects another more critical application, like VOIP, will it scale back to free up bandwidth? I know this is what QoS is supposed to do, but I haven't set that up on my home network yet. (I might really have to, now that I acquired an HDHomeRun device as well.)

If not, can anyone recommend a good primer about configuring and testing QoS? I have an NForce 570 SLI chipset in this system, if that matters, and I have a D-Link DGL-4300 router which is supposed to support it.

uTorrent v1.8.1 tries to use as much upload speed FOR torrent files as you tell it to use, regardless of network conditions and only slows down after network congestion, lag, and packet loss occur.

The v1.9 alpha versions use uTP tries to back off if it senses network congestion, lag, or packet loss...but it's ability to predict the future is very limited at best. Once it gives some data to be sent out to Windows, other traffic could try to use the internet connection at the same time resulting in lag even if the moment it gave out the data there was no lag or other activity.

QoS works best if none of the bandwidth-using sources are trying to use more bandwidth than available by themselves.

Archived