Larger Application Icon for Leopard

djh816

• 3 weeks later...

@NoOneButMe

I have no idea why you're under the impression that a 512x512 pixel icon state is only needed to support a resolution independent interface. Cover Flow, Quick Look and even Spotlight within the Finder require high-resolution icons. Today, in these three cases alone 128x128 pixel icons don't suffice.

@R-Flow: As far as I remember it, the main reason Apple initially gave for using 512x512 icons was to support RI. I'm not saying theres no point for having a 512x512 icon. Just that updating the app icon isn't going to be at the very top of the todo list.

Yes, icons are used in other parts of the OS. But Cover Flow isn't nearly as useful outside of iTunes for artwork. Nearest i can tell, Spotlight uses the 16x16 icon. (FWIW, Launchbar uses 16x16 icons as well. And Quicksilver uses 128x128 icons). And honestly, who really quicklooks on a .app?

@NoOneButMe

This isn't about wether you find Cover Flow to be the most effective means to browse your folder content or not. Fact of the matter is that Mac OS X offers this as a feature and people definitely do use it. Same thing applies to Quick Look.

I wasn't talking about the Spotlight Menu, but Spotlight searching using a Finder window. There's a slider that allows you to scale icons all the way up to 512x512 pixels. Next to that the Finder in current Snow Leopard builds allows you to use icon sizes beyond the traditional 128x128 pixels. So the larger size will become more important.

I totally get that this currently isn't a very big priority and I'm not saying that it should be. But it would be nice if this "issue" could be addressed at some point in the not too distant feature.

It'll be fixed at some point in the future. Beyond that, theres not much more to say about it.

512x512 icons are purely graphical shinyness, there's no denying that much. As much as we mac users like to nitpick over UI, having the program *do* something properly is more important while still in beta. It's UI can be fixed up after its stable.

Archived