private ip's from ISP

coldrick

Just found out why I can't successfully port forward: my new ISP's DHCP server is handing out 192.168.5.* addresses!

I've never heard of this before. Any way around this, aside from getting a new ISP (which is a problem: I'm out in the boonies, and have no other real choice but this satellite-based system).

Regards,

David

No real way around it...a fully forwarded VPN would simulate not being firewalled, but would probably be total overkill for your tasks.

You might be able to pay extra for an unfirewalled connection (Business Line!) from your ISP.

But uTorrent v1.8 and later has IPv6 and v1.9 betas may also get added NAT hole-punching uTP.

Even without either features, you should still be able to connect unfirewalled peers and seeds.

...Just your ratio/s on private trackers will suffer horribly from being firewalled due to their flawed designs. :(

...Just your ratio/s on private trackers will suffer horribly from being firewalled due to their flawed designs. sad

Yup, already experienced that.

Thanks for the reply. I've since found some info on the modem supplied (an IpStar something) and the ISP that indicate it might be possible to work around to some degree. I'll provide details if it works out.

Best regards,

David

Archived