Preferences Settings for New User

buffyslay

I'm new to Torrents and am presently downloading one file (1.52 GB). The Connection light is green and everything seems ok. However I'd like to know more about what settings I should be using to get good/optimum performance (currently all settings are defaults) so I need a more experienced user to inform me since there doesn't appears to be a Mac uTorrent guide or FAQ yet and trying to follow one of the many for Windows users is unhelpful.

I'm on a 256/64 ADSL1 plan with a 3 GB per month download quota. Once I go over the 3 GB my download speed is throttled to 64kb/s (believe me it doesn't take long to use up 3 GB). I used Speedtest.net to determine my current throttled average download/upload speed which is:

Average Download Speed: 26kb/s

Average Upload Speed: 5kb/s

Based on the above results what are the optimum settings I should be using to ensure good downloading performance while also having enough bandwidth for web surfing?

Bandwidth:

Download limits: Limit download rate to: ? kB/s

Upload limits: Limit upload rate manually to: ? kB/s

Limit seeding rate to: ? kB/s

Seeding: Stop seeding at up/down ratio: ?

BitTorrent:

Connections: Global limit: ?

Per torrent limit: ?

Peers: Enable Distributed Hash Table network - do I need this?

Enable Peer Exchange for public torrents - do I need this?

Queues: Active transfers limit: ?

Active downloads limit ?

Outgoing Encryption: Do I need this and if yes does it slow performance?

Network:

Incoming TCP port: Presently set to 32248 (default). Is this a good port to use or should I change it and to what?

Upload limits: Limit upload rate manually to: 3 kB/s

Limit seeding rate to: 4 kB/s

Seeding: Stop seeding at up/down ratio: 100% (if you don't stop it sooner)

Upload Slots per torrent: Set to 1 or 2.

BitTorrent:

Connections: Global limit: 25

Per torrent limit: 20

(No joke, if you can't max out your connection with 20 seeds+peers...your connections is broken/throttled!)

Peers: DISABLE Distributed Hash Table network! (too bandwidth-costly)

Enable Peer Exchange for public torrents, but if you only run private torrents it doesn't matter.

Queues: Active transfers limit: 1

Active downloads limit 1

Thanks for your reply however I had a chance to perform another speed test, but this time in the late afternoon rather than late at night as I did with the first and the results are dramatically different. I can only assume that late at night my ISP's bandwidth is under heavy use.

Here are the new results:

Average Download Speed: 60kb/s (old: 26kb/s) which is 93.75% of the theoretical maximum

Average Upload Speed: 52kb/s (old: 5kb/s) which is 81.25% of the theoretical maximum

Based on these new results what should the optimum preferences settings be? Also what should my download rate be as you didn't include a value for this.

It would be appreciated if you would, when you have time, post a 'Mac specific' optimisation guide though I realise the Mac version of uTorrent has only just been released.

• 1 year later...

I had my isp block me for a little while cause they thought I was doing stuff that I shouldnt be doing - i wasnt but its hard to convince them. Anyways I would like to accomplish two things please- correct settings and hide my isp or at least try to get my isp off my back

I have a mac. My Isp is dsl:

5 mb download

512 upload

I have an airport extreme as my router ( isp modem router is being used as a modem only)

What should my download limits and upload limits ( or auto) be:

What should my seeding ratio be:

connections: GLobal

per torrent limit :

Peers: ( do I check any of the two? - I use only private)

Queues: Active transfer limits:

active download limits:

Outgoing : enabled or forced

network - incoming port?

do i check randomize port during launch

automatically map port?

Right now all I've done to the default settings are:

unchecked both peer options and i have encryption as forced.

Thanks for all your help and PS I like the navigation and design of your site. It rocks, esp. for newbies like me!

• 1 month later...

Archived