ipfilter.dat GUI enable

TheBear

My log report shows an ipfilter.dat file loaded from c:\documents ......\application data\µTorrent with no entries. Is there a way to tailor the output of Blocklist Manager to give the right format?

I thinks that's the problem as I have more than just IP addys in there.

so how exactly do you use this ipfilter thing? can you add IPs to it on your own? can you make up your own ipfilter.dat file? I'm not really interested in the whole IP blocking thing but sometimes there are IPs acting in a bizarre and erratic manner on some torrents (i.e., reapeated disconnect and reconnect, sometimes more than once or tiwce a second) and I would like to be able to block them for that reason.

You can use Blocklist Manager from Bluetack to output the ipfilter.dat, but DO NOT use the eMule setting since it's padded (last I remember uTorrent doesnt handle the Padded ipfilter.dat right, eg. 127.000.000.001). Instead use the "Convert" function and Output for "Generic - IP Range - UnPadded" and save the output as ipfilter.dat to the appropriate directory.

Wolfwood

• 1 month later...
You can use Blocklist Manager from Bluetack to output the ipfilter.dat, but DO NOT use the eMule setting since it's padded (last I remember uTorrent doesnt handle the Padded ipfilter.dat right, eg. 127.000.000.001). Instead use the "Convert" function and Output for "Generic - IP Range - UnPadded" and save the output as ipfilter.dat to the appropriate directory.

Wolfwood

The uTorrent FAQ says ipfilter.dat must be unpadded, but that padded ips "are reported to work anyway".

So what's the deal? Is it okay to leave them padded or not? I mean if I don't have to use the convert phase in BLM I won't because it's just another step I'd prefer to avoid. Because as it is I can't tell whether ipfilter.dat is being loaded or not, because uT doesn't tell you how many IPs it is blocking or how many IPs filter ipfilter.dat it is loading.

It means what it says. You should leave it unpadded, since that's what it was tested with. If you use padded IPs, it will probably work anyway, but don't come crying when it doesn't ;P

I don't know, since I don't use ipfilter.dat, but doesn't the log tell you the ipfilter.dat information?

It means what it says. You should leave it unpadded, since that's what it was tested with. If you use padded IPs, it will probably work anyway, but don't come crying when it doesn't ;P I don't know, since I don't use ipfilter.dat, but doesn't the log tell you the ipfilter.dat information?

Oh thanks, I forgot there was a log file! I exported a padded ipfilter.dat using BLM, and in the Logger tab of uT it says "Loaded ipfilter.dat (124644 entries)" which is the same number of entries that BLM exported. Later down in the log there are entries such as "IpFilter blocked peer xx.xx.xxx.xxx". So looks like padded ips works fine.

What ipfilter.dat is recommended? The one from Bluetack or Openmedia?

They're the same. At least, you can make them the same. Bluetack lets you chose which sources you want to use and Openmedia has them chosen for you. Openmedia sounds like a great site but their transfer speeds are sooooo slow for me, that it's not worth my time to download their ipfilter. So I just use Bluetack and use the same number of sources that Openmedia does in their p2p ipfilter.dat (not the full one). I'm assuming that is good enough.

They're the same. At least, you can make them the same. Bluetack lets you chose which sources you want to use and Openmedia has them chosen for you. Openmedia sounds like a great site but their transfer speeds are sooooo slow for me, that it's not worth my time to download their ipfilter. So I just use Bluetack and use the same number of sources that Openmedia does in their p2p ipfilter.dat (not the full one). I'm assuming that is good enough.

Thanks for the info. :)

wongnog: I only say that because it was tested and designed to be used with unpadded IPs, and while it was fixed to work with padded IPs, padded might break in the future (not likely, but still possible). I wouldn't really worry though.

Archived