Avoiding fake torrents

XiticiX

I have my RSS Downloader setup to automatically download new tv shows from a TPB, but keep receiving bad torrents. Mostly ones with a RAR and a passwrd.txt file. The bastards.

Doing some quick research, I see there are programs like Peer Gaurdian, but I wanted some more information before I went ahead.

Is this the best method of blocking bad torrents?

Do I need to keep updating the list, or does it connect to a server (blocklist.org?) which is fairly current and reliable?

Is there a preferred method for blocking?

How do YOU do it?

Thanks all for your help on this one.

Is this the best method of blocking bad torrents?

Not even close

Do I need to keep updating the list, or does it connect to a server (blocklist.org?) which is fairly current and reliable?

Blocklists from these organizations are about as reliable at what they're intended for as a house of cards in a Richter 9 earthquake. And that's ignoring the fact that these blocking applications wouldn't block the torrents you're trying to block anyway.

Is there a preferred method for blocking?

How do YOU do it?

Download and filter manually. Don't rely on automated systems.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also been frustrated by the bad .rar file problem. Doesn't seem to be any way to filter them out in utorrent, so I've switched to using feedmytorrents.com. They do all the manual filtering on their end so I get a clean feed for each TV show. No more duplicates or .rar files. Only downside seems to be a ~ few hour delay while they determine the best torrent, but otherwise great.

My only association with feedmytorrents is as a satisfied user.

Archived