Setting outbound port ranges

Screndib

Hi this might be a bit out of place but I connect to the net through a vpn, but from time to time the connection drops and utorrent connects through my actual isp connection. I would like to know how I can limit the number of outgoing tcp ports that utorrent uses so I can block those ports in my firewall when the vpn connection drops.

thanks

What I've done for 1.7 is add another advanced setting, net.outgoing_max_port. If you set it to a value greater than net.outgoing_port, and the latter is nonzero they form a port range. It's inclusive, so if you set them to say 15100 and 15149 you get a range of 50 ports. I.e., they specify first and last. If you configure a range it will never use a port outside this range except for UPnP. If you don't specify a max port then the behavior is the same as previously. (The default value for both is 0.)

Awesome, thanks for listening.

That's a bit old... the TOS field was redefined in rfc 2474 to be a set of diffserv codepoint spaces (DSCP).

Yeah, m0n0 is a bit lacking in a few areas. I'm not sure why DSCP filtering was never exposed or enabled, might have something to do with m0n0 still using a 4.something version of bsd? pfSense (based on m0n0wall) probably supports DSCP but it requires more powerful hardware and something to put a page file on.

I c this thread is alive ... and I was pleased to see others "had gone before" and things were well in hand. I tested Net llimiter for a bit but found it did not do high priority things very well (i.e. voip and skype) so i have been trying Bandwidth Controller which seems to do it better.

The problem for me was that while NL limited by process (easy) BC limited by port or port range (much harder). Some messing around with Currports showed what UTorrent was doing and I was then one to add my voice to the advantage of having a port range controlled by UT.

I got the latest copy of UT 1.7 beta and set the net.outgoing_max_port range etc. as shown above .... what happened to me is that ALL connections were set to the lowest point in the range I set (at least as reported by Currport). The good news is that while that is the case, everything seems to be working properly - which is very good news.

My knowledge is not sufficient to join the technical debate, but if using the programs I have mentioned is enough, I would be happy to work with anyone in testing any new things that come along on this item. If things continue to work as they do now, I am 100% happy but I have time to test things if needed.

Thanks for a great program ... I tried them all and stopped here .. and its very nice that developers are interested and listen to their users when they can. I presume my email is available to the admins - it might get a faster read down the road.

• 1 month later...

-- 1c3dog --

Do you want a cookie?!

-- end --

yes, I would. I did not receive my complimentary cookie on install. :(

But I would appreciate being able to download as many torrents simultaneously as *I* please.. not what I'm "permitted". I never had this problem with AyZooReUs.

:(

• 1 month later...

Thanks CodeRed for implementing a port range.

I'm new to uTorrent and I really like it but the lack of a port range feature was preventing me from being able to use it. I run a Cisco router so there is no uPnP support and I have a very strict firewall policy that doesn't allow any outgoing traffic unless the port is specifically allowed (i.e. I need to know the port numbers/range in advance).

With this feature I am now sorted :)

BTW you will need to update the FAQ as it currently states:

"My firewall is reporting connections being made by µTorrent on a port besides the one I selected. What gives?

Only incoming connections use the port you selected in µTorrent. Outgoing connections use a random local port; this is simply the way TCP/IP functions. It's not a bug.

If you have a firewall, you must allow all outgoing traffic on TCP and UDP."

At least someone reads the FAQ ;)

Archived