Win7 and download speed

Typhanus

well... let's not discuss the release of win 7 here...

The problem we're facing now is probably gonna be a problem in the RC and RTM version of Win 7 once those ships.

It's not an error that is hard to reproduce... so the µT team should be able to debug their way out of it :)

This is the only thing that keeps me on Vista... and I wanna change so bad :P

• 4 months later...

This seems like a good thread to post my problem since it is essentially the same. I'm currently running Win 7 RC x64. The _only_ software installed is uTorrent 1.8.3 and LogMeIn.

Here's the variation to my problem: uTorrent will only download the first ten torrents on the list regardless of the number of seeders the other torrents have and if I force it to download.

uTorrent was installed yesterday and my first couple of torrents had a lot of seeders and were downloading really fast (up to 800kB/s). I added more torrents to my list but there weren't as many seeders so I didn't think much about the fact that they weren't immediately starting to download. I come back to the computer 24 hours later and only 8GB has been downloaded (compared to how much I am attempting to download, that is not a lot).

I noticed that only five or six torrents were actively downloading even though all the torrents at least had some seeders and a few had hundreds and thousands of seeders but were still not active. I tried setting higher connection numbers but that didn't seem to help even with all the torrents forced to download. I turned off the Windows Firewall and no change.

I exited uTorrent and started it back up. This time instead of downloading in the order that I added the torrents, uTorrent was now downloading the first ten torrents as shown alphabetically... This poses a problem because the rest of my torrents are not even attempting to download and since my first 10+ torrents have a low number of seeders and each one is 1GB in size, it is going to take forever to get all my stuff to download...

So, does anyone know why I am only downloading ten torrents at a time?

Derek

PS. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan. The system that I am using is based in Texas and I am connecting to it via Logmein. Port forwarding for uTorrent has not been set up yet (which I understand will cause slow speeds) but I do not think that it would limit my downloads to 10. Port will be forwarded this weekend when my friend has a change to play with his router.

utorrent.png

First, I am force starting the torrents because, well, I want them to start downloading and not waiting for them to be queued up. That and I want more than just 8 files coming in at a time when each one is taking about 2 days to complete.

Second, how is it not a good idea? Like I said previously, some to most of the file are rare with very little seeders. They need to be running and attempting to download else they will never get done. Plus, a few of them are very large and I don't want to wait a couple months for it to download so that another file will be able to start.

Simply put, I just want my downloads to be running like I have in the past. 8 concurrent downloads is not going to cut it...

Derek

It is not a good idea because you're splitting your connection FAR more ways than it is capable of sustaining.

Rare with few seeders would mean that you need to improve your trade ability with other peers to get them faster. Starting that many torrents at once does NOT do that.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58404

Archived