Help with stopping downloads

fubar

Hey, i need to limit my download hours, my ISP has a montlhy download quota that i cant surpass.

After 1AM i have happy hours, and downloads are not counted until 7AM.

So what can i do to make utorrent stop all downloads, but not the uploads?! In the scheduler i can only stop everything but i still want to seed during the day.

Actually, this would qualify as a feature request -- because Scheduler currently can only reduce download speed (to 1 KB/sec), not stop it altogether.

It may be possible to queue up some downloads to start at 1 AM...and just hope they're done downloading by 7 AM. After they're done downloading, all they'd do is seed.

I already requested it, but it seems it was already request or marked as invalid... i couldn't quite figure it out. So i wanted to know if there was a way to do it. I suppose there's no way to actually automate this process in the current utorrent, i'm doing it by hand now. I just start the torrents at 1AM manually and stop them afterwards! :(

One trick you can do so you can get to sleep before 1 AM is to have scheduler disable upload/download entirely till 1 AM, but have the torrents already "started". Since traffic is limited to 0, they will be queued and not start.

Then you can either hope to have the torrents fully downloaded by 7 AM, or get up and check it, or have scheduler disable upload/download entirely again.

...or my suggestion of 1 KB/sec for download till you can get to it to disable it.

I found a solution, you can write a .bat file to have windows stop a process at a set time.

So you could make a .bat file that kills utorrent.exe at a set time. Took me a few mins to find that. I also remeber a different way of starting and stopping a program at a set time but forget what the command was. Hope this helps.

>at /?

The AT command schedules commands and programs to run on a computer at

a specified time and date. The Schedule service must be running to use

the AT command.

AT [\\computername] [ [id] [/DELETE] | /DELETE [/YES]]

AT [\\computername] time [/iNTERACTIVE]

[ /EVERY:date[,...] | /NEXT:date[,...]] "command"

\\computername Specifies a remote computer. Commands are scheduled on the

local computer if this parameter is omitted.

id Is an identification number assigned to a scheduled

command.

/delete Cancels a scheduled command. If id is omitted, all the

scheduled commands on the computer are canceled.

/yes Used with cancel all jobs command when no further

confirmation is desired.

time Specifies the time when command is to run.

/interactive Allows the job to interact with the desktop of the user

who is logged on at the time the job runs.

/every:date[,...] Runs the command on each specified day(s) of the week or

month. If date is omitted, the current day of the month

is assumed.

/next:date[,...] Runs the specified command on the next occurrence of the

day (for example, next Thursday). If date is omitted, the

current day of the month is assumed.

"command" Is the Windows NT command, or batch program to be run.

http://www.computerhope.com/at.htm#02 is where I got my info from.

Is it a big problem to dl only with 1 kB/s in daytime? For 18 hours that would be 60-65 MB/day. What's the quota?

And is there any other client that it's possible to stop dl completely in, and only seed with unfinished downloads? ABC maybe? If so, you can use ABC during daytime, and maybe start utorrent in the evening, with the scheduler, so there only a few hours with downloading at 1 KB/s.

edit: Azureus scheduler can at least pause unfinished torrents, so only the finished torrents are seeding specific hours.

Archived