I cannot port forward with my compUSA router 333628

traveler25

Yes,under under use the following ISP i put in the ISP from the ipconfig /all

under subnet mask 255.255.255.0

under default gateway put in the default gateway from the ipconfig /all

under use the following DNS server addresses i did not put in what ipconfig /all said because it was the same as my

default gateway, I put in the default gateway from the routers, status internet connection menu.

Ok, so there are several things you did wrong for static IP.

1> DNS addresses WILL work when they are the same as your default gateway.

2> Many routers require static IP addresses to be outside of their DHCP range (covered in the LAN settings of the router) but still in the same netblock.

3> Default gateway in a static IP should NEVER be the default gateway from the router configuration.

WOW

Hmm, ok yes i finally did read something about the static ip addresses had to be outside the of the xxx.xxx.xxx.1 thru xxx.xxx.xxx.100 range, sorry I never read that anywhere else before.

Ok, then I will reset the DNS addresses back to the same as my default gateway.

Also when I run cmd /k ipconfig/all it reports Dhcp enabled: NO, is that normal?

will try to correct the mistakes.

thanks Marcos

ok yes my checked my LAN dhcp range was between xxx.xxx.xxx.100 and xxx.xxx.xxx.200 so i picked one below this range that is not being used by any other device. Put in the original default gateway addresses and DNS addresses.

Went into routers, NAT menu, under port forwarding put in the same static isp for private isp and put in the port being used by utorrent. Am able to browse web no problem but still says my port does not appear to be open.

bah, went in and took out the port forwarding settings and tried the virtual server instead, same results.

unless i have to have both of them set?

Let's assume your uTorrent port is 1500 for the sake of being clear. If you LAN DHCP range is 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.200 and you set your static IP to be 192.168.1.50, you need to configure your router to forward port 1500 to 192.168.1.50. You won't need to set up virtual server, you just need to forward the port.

All this talk of static IP and private IP has me all confused. There's a section on the router where you can configure the routers LAN IP and the routers WAN IP. You have not changed that information, have you? The router is still xxx.xxx.xxx.1 for it's LAN IP?

The page you do port forwarding on should only have 3 boxes: Server IP, Mapping Ports and Enabled. In Server IP, you put the address that comes up in ipconfig. This would be the static address you assigned your computer, has nothing to do with addresses you might see on your router. ipconfig will give you this number, your router most likely has no idea what that number even it is, so you won't see it anywhere in your router's configuration or information pages. The first 3 parts (a part being between the .'s) should be already listed on the page. In the example I gave, your PC is 192.168.1.50 and your router is 192.168.1.1. In this case, the 192.168.1. is already typed in for you. In the box beside that, you would type the last part of your computer's IP address. In my example, you type 50. In the Mapping Ports box, you enter the port found in the uTorrent settings. My example would be 1500. You then check the box that says enabled on the right. Click apply at the bottom. All done.

Norton firewalls are notorious for not "turning off". Any chance you can open the port in Norton instead of "turning it off"? Windows Firewall on?

Port forwarding on your router automatically opens up the port you want to forward. I can guarantee you that if your computer has no firewalls running, and you followed the setup correctly, it will work. If you have no firewalls and it's not working, you didn't follow the setup correctly.

Cable modem makes no difference.

Archived