Bridged connection versus Routed connection

torrentcrazy

My Zyxel 645 modem has a built in NAT/Router. Sprint just helped me disable the built in router and set up a bridged connection instead. Is a bridged connection better for torrenting than a routed one?

Also, I now have to use WindowsXP firewall since the NAT is turned off in my modem. I have opened the neccessary ports in the firewall, but should I also add utorrent as a program exception? Will that be a big security risk? The FAQ says you should allow outgoing traffic on all ports, is this the default in WindowsXP Firewall because I don't see an option for it?

Sorry for all the questions. Thanks for the help.

Bridged mode means that the router stops working as a router, and simply passes along all conenctions. It often helps for not-so-good routers.

And yeah, you should add µTorrent, and no it won't be a big risk. Don't forget to allow the proper ICMPs (check the fAQ)

Bridged mode means that the router stops working as a router, and simply passes along all conenctions. It often helps for not-so-good routers.

Oh yeah, that maybe could help some of the folk who are having trouble with dropped connections. If a normal router can be configured to bridged mode, that may keep the connections alive. I dont know if that's possible, just an idea.

Archived