Mac turns itself off too soon before complete

Ekchuah

Sometimes on downloads that take a few days, I awake to find that my Mac lap top has shut itself off aafter completing maybe only 30% of the download (in spite of the fact that I'm using a 3rd party program called "Insomnia" which keeps it awake while the lid is closed.

utorrent is has also dissapeared.

When I restart it again, the torrent is still there but it's back to the beginning again 0% and need to start all over again..

Has this ever happended to anyone and what should I set my download speed at ??

Use google to find out if this is normal for Insomnia from time to time. I suppose you are having ur MacBook connected to the power cable, right? Just to get sure it is not the battery that runs out of energy. But notmally OS X recognizes this status and shuts down automatically while saving ur current process.

There`s something that makes me shiver: If you close the lid of your MacBook and the machine keeps running with something to work on, how does this affect the system`s temperature? It may be an emergency shutdown to protect ur MacBook and it`s components. Most of all your battery. They do not like high temperatures.

Read some other posts for your download speed. There is plenty of stuff to read and find what you need.

I think you're right, my Powerbook was overheating and shutting off.

I placed a CD cover under it for some extra air and it seems to have stayed awake.

I'm almost up to 60% now and hope it makes it all the way.

I suppose this is a problem that desktop users (PC or Mac) don't have.

Archived