Upload slows when downloading from web or nntp

nocannothave

I am a LONGTIME bt user. My first torrent was in the spring of 2004. I have strong knowledge of bt protocols and fairly strong knowledge of tracker protocols. This issue has me thoroughly confused. A search found many people having slow uploads, but not with the same situation as mine.

Windows XP SP 2

latest uTorrent build

Windows Firewall - uTorrent allowed

port 65000 on a static IP outside of the DHCP range

network icon is always green

Charter 10.mb/1mb > Motorola modem > Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT v23 SP2 std > Encore 8 port 10/100 switch > onboard 10/100/1000 LAN on an ASUS M2N-SLi deluxe.

Every time I am uploading to one of a few private trackers (since 2005), my upload is constant if I am the only seed. My upload speed is always stable and near maximum. As of recently, at any time if I started a download from the internet (NOT bit torrent), the upload would continue at full speed, while the download suffered at 50-70% of maximum. Of course, the TCP/IP packets needed for handshakes are busy with uploading.

As of yesterday, this has flopped 180 degrees. Now, when I download from the web, it goes to full speed and uTorrent drops to 2-5% of max. Literally from 120kB/s down to 5kB/s. As soon as I pause the download, upload shoots back to maximum.

I'm hoping for any kind of idea what is going on. It is not imperative this be resolved. Mostly curious. I can download when I'm not running a torrent.

I'm not sure of your true linespeeds or uTorrent settings.

It's possible for uTorrent to be set so aggressively as to cause your problems, especially some of the advanced settings.

Also try testing uTorrent with ONLY encrypted peer and seed connections...and DHT, LPD, UPnP, NAT-PMP, and Resolve IPs disabled.

Only TCP will need to be forwarded by the router this way.

Archived