Auto-shutdown when (everything?!) completes

twipley

the term that appears:

- when downloads complete

- when EVERYTHING completes

(what does EVERYTHING exactly means? am i alone to wonder what it exactly means?)

i suggest that possibly, in the new version, put a more precise term.

e.g. when (downloads complete AND finished seeding), then exit uTorrent

/2 cents

http://download.utorrent.com/utorrent-help.zip explains:

Auto Shutdown

Disabled tells µTorrent not to perform any of the following actions. Note that besides this option, all options in this submenu get disabled after they have occurred.

Quit when Downloads Complete exits µTorrent when all currently downloading torrent jobs reach 100% download completion.

Quit when Everything Completes exits µTorrent when all currently active torrent jobs are completed.

Hibernate when Downloads Complete puts the computer into hibernation mode when all currently downloading torrent jobs reach 100% download completion.

Hibernate when Everything Completes puts the computer into hibernation mode when all currently active torrent jobs are completed.

Standby when Downloads Complete puts the computer into standby mode when all currently downloading torrent jobs reach 100% download completion.

Standby when Everything Completes puts the computer into standby mode when all currently active torrent jobs are completed.

Reboot when Downloads Complete restarts the computer when all currently downloading torrent jobs reach 100% download completion.

Reboot when Everything Completes restarts the computer when all currently active torrent jobs are completed.

Shutdown when Downloads Complete shuts the computer down when all currently downloading torrent jobs reach 100% download completion.

Shutdown when Everything Completes shuts the computer down when all currently active torrent jobs are completed.

There indeed is some mixed usage of terms there, I can't disagree. For example, in the Category list, Complete means finished downloads (but not necessarily finished seeding goals). In the shutdown menu, "everything completes" implies seeding goals, and "downloads complete"... well, the modifying word (downloads) explains it already.

The problem here with being more explicit is that something like "Shutdown when Downloads Complete and Seeding Goals are Reached" is a rather... long menu item name. Toss ideas around with regards to how one can clarify the text while keeping the string manageably short -- I'm too lazy to think at the moment ;D

Edit: Well, I suppose one idea might be to have the menu actually have the menu laid out with more submenus (but then the need to drill through submenus may become a potential usability problem).

Example:

&Options >

&Auto Shutdown >

&Disable

----

&Quit >

All &Downloads Complete

&All Downloads/Uploads Complete

&Hibernate >

All &Downloads Complete

&Standby >

All &Downloads Complete

&Reboot >

All &Downloads Complete

&Shutdown >

All &Downloads Complete

Edit: This proposal also cuts down on strings needed for translation -- 7 strings as opposed to 10. Less translation redundancy and more string reuse is always nice :)

Why not make it in that way:

&Options >

&Auto Shutdown >

&Disable

----

All Downloads &Complete >

&Quit

&Hibernate

&Standby

&Reboot

&Shutdown

&All Downloads and Uploads Complete >

&Quit

&Hibernate

&Standby

&Reboot

&Shutdown

Perhaps easier to handle, 7 new strings to translate too.

Indeed, I thought of that as well, but it's more-or-less the same thing anyway with regards to string count. I guess it is nicer to have fewer submenu and menu items too (the second proposal cuts down on 3 submenu/menu items).

I'm not completely sold either proposal though, if only for the fact that they still have some cognitive issues. Namely, it's odd that a super menu item (Disable) would be able to untick a submenu radio mark. Related to that, if a user selects "Quit" under "All Downloads Complete," then "Shutdown" under "All Downloads and Uploads Complete," the layout of the menus would have you believe that both options are enabled simultaneously (obviously, they wouldn't be). This is one usability problem I was referring to in my previous post.

"I'm too lazy to think at the moment ;D" (ultima)

and i laughed at the next line, when i saw that EDIT

so much thinking, indeed. another option, too, would be to create a window (or to include autoshutdown in preferences instead of a menu), where in the dropdown box one could choose between hibernate, stanby, reboot, etc., and would also have to specify by ratio dot whether to execute specified action after downloads complete or both downloads and seeding completes.

you guys like to think, don't you? ;)

1. Merging into the Preferences has been requested before, and I already objected to that idea. Why? Because the Preferences is where permanent behavior is set, not something temporary like the options in this menu are. Having its own dialog would be the same; it gives a sense of permanence where there is none.

2. Obviously, with 2 edits taking < 15 minutes while I was posting in other threads, there wasn't that much deep thought involved in proposing new strings. I'm not sure why you keep focusing on that one fragment of a line.

i'm not sure what you meant by #2 (while i get #1!). i don't know. i just replied to note the smiling i've had after having read your first post.

about the obsessive focusing on this minor problem (which is the subject of the thread), well, i'm not sure why i posted in the first place. while i never and won't use the menu option, i've just wanted to note the possible confusion of the "everything" term (because at first i didn't know jobs finished at 150% seeding). preaching for utilitarianism, i thus made suggestion, or simply raised the problem.

so, please don't hammer at me, i'm not a developer! ;)

• 1 year later...

Firstly, apologies for replying to an outdated post.

Can the auto-shutdown be in Preferences?

Can't seem to find it there. Currently need to set it manually everytime the PC shutdown after completion. :(

Would be nice to have it autoshutdown automatically as set in Preferences. :cool:

Thanks

Archived