Occasional speed problem.

scott1x

On some downloads, I find there seems to be plenty of resources available, but on some, I'm plagued with really slow download speeds. One one torrent, I have over 90 connected peers, but most of them are in "d" status. I'm only "D" to 11 peers. There are over 25 copies available, so why can't I get more connections? Is there anything I can do to improve my connections.

I've followed all of the suggestions in the faq, and sometimes I can push my DSL connection to it's rated limit, so the capability is there, the problem seems to be the torrent, not the connection. According to the tests, my ISP does not throttle torrents, plus I'm even using encryption.

Suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated.

I have number of upload slots set to 4 and have 3 active torrents. Global max is 450 and max of connected peers per torrent is 150. During the day, I throttle up load speed to about half of my upstream bandwidth (~40KB). At when I got to bed, I'll open it up more.

I'm really beginning to think I have this one really slow torrent. Others hit reasonable speeds, very close to my downstream max, very quickly or approach at least half of it. Every now and then, a fast peer will connect, on this torrent, and my speed soars. I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that it's just "luck" of the draw!

Are there any actions that can be taken that will improve peer selection?

Spend more of your max upload on that 1 torrent, and make sure each peer you're uploading to gets at least 3 but no more than about 10-20 KB/sec upload.

I was hoping you'd notice YOU aren't uploading to everyone at once...likewise other seeds and peers don't either. It's not efficient to keep dividing upload by every new peer that comes along. Also, connecting to LOTS of peers at once won't help much because they tend to ONLY upload to those uploading to them.

It would be impossible, at my line speed, to upload to the 90+ connected peers at once. As I said, upload slots are limited to 4 per torrent. I have three active upload torrents, including the one I'm downloading for a total of 12 upload streams.

I'll try to further limit the max connections per torrent and see if that helps. All I need is 3 or 4 decent speed connections and I'll be doing great.

Archived