µTorrent 1.8.2 released

Firon

theeasternhero, try the 2nd link in my signature...BUT 384 kilobit/second may only be your download max! Your upload may only be 64 kilobit/second! So you need to choose the upload on my chart that closest matches what you're getting in uTorrent currently.

Also, disable NAT-PMP, DHT (both kinds), and Resolve IPs (right-click in the PEERS window of an active torrent) -- these can either cause problems for your networking or use extra bandwidth.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know..really silly question but I don't even have a BASIC understanding of computers. LOL

When my utorrent client lets me know there is a new version and I go to download and install it, does it erase all my existing torrents downloading in my client.

Thanks...

Michele

GOT HELP ON IRC!!!!!

no. but as far as I remember - the installer does NOT find the current "install" location and put it on C: . So in case you have chosen to have all the setup file WITH the old exe - it will not find them and you have to either reconfigure it with the old paths, move the old files to the new install location or just move the new exe to your previous location.

I think there's a bug in this new 1.8.2. I update my 1.8.1 to 1.8.2 on win xp pro and I can see that now if I chose to delete torrent and file by clicking on it with right mouse button, it takes a long time before it do it. And if I close the program a process remain in the task manager that I can't kill until the torrent and the file are in the recycle.

Is this so only for me?

The delay with the deleting a .torrent/data is a result of delays in properly closing existing connections... this behavior has not changed for a while now, and you are most likely seeing a particular case where the connections are being closed slowly. If deletes are in the queue, the client process will wait to close until the deletes are completed.

I suppose you guys already know that the bundle feature doesn't producer a signed installer, and therefore produces the "ugly" UAC prompt after a "Unknown Publisher" warning from IE.

(Also: Is there a reason that outgoing encryption is turned off by default? or has it always been this way and I haven't cleared my settings before?)

Yes, it's a known issue. AFAIK, there isn't really anything the devs can do about that, since the bundled executable (naturally) has a section that is modified on-the-fly before getting sent to the user.

And encryption has always been disabled by default. It's disabled by default in µTorrent because of the additional protocol overhead/complexity it introduces where it often isn't needed.

I had a little look around the PE file format and Authenticode docs and I believe it is possible to reserve a section in the file that won't be checked against the signature. Basically, the signature itself isn't (and can't be as it isn't known at the time because it hasn't been generated yet!) included, so you should be able to exend that section.

For example, because of alignment requirements, the last 3 bytes of the official release (which are padding / 0x00) can be altered with no ill effect to either the operation of the program or code signing verification.

I have developed a phobia of updating manually after a previously unpleasant manual update during the 1.7 era. Now that 2 weeks have passed since the 1.8.2 release should I assume there wont be an automatic update available or will it be available later?

(some versions of 1.7 im not sure if they were betas had a bug that only allowed manual updates)

Builds don't go on the automatic updater until there has been some testing first.

Generally, it goes like this, with occasional exceptions.

First, a new build is tested among the development group.

Next, it is tested among the support group.

Next, it is announced in the main IRC channel, for some quick limited public testing. Most of the time, if there is a serious problem, the dev and support groups haven't noticed with their system setups, it will be noticed pretty quickly in this step.

Next, it will get posted in the forums, just like this thread was. A little wider public testing, and any serious issues that the IRC peeps didn't catch, will be found here. In 1.8.2's case, this is the step where a significant amount of crash dumps were being reported, which the devs are investigating. (this is why 1.8.2 hasn't hit the updater this time)

Finally, if all goes well by this time, which on average, would only be a few days or less, with no serious issues being spotted, then it goes on the updater for wide release to the public.

So, go ahead and stick with the automatic updater. By the time you get an update automatically, it should have already passed a decent amount of testing.

(beta updates are the exception to this whole process. keep beta updates disabled unless you're wanting to test potentially buggy builds)

-- Smoovious

I know..really silly question but I don't even have a BASIC understanding of computers. LOL

When my utorrent client lets me know there is a new version and I go to download and install it, does it erase all my existing torrents downloading in my client.

Thanks...

Michele

GOT HELP ON IRC!!!!!

I get this to but have no idea how to go about changing the stuff RAFI mentioned in post #79 if anyone could explain it in IDIOT SPEAK that would be great.

Cheers Duffer

ok When i run hotmail . and utorent i got drop from hotmail video-chat ,,

This is a new isue, i was using the1.8.1 and the autoapdate start to happen and i did it. my video call stop in 2-4 min of being togheter with utorrent- when the thing start warming up.it happen 5 times.. so it's the utorrent..

My specs are Win 7 64, and comcast cable with linksys befw..

it was not happening before and i had my utorrent limited to 92 Kbs for use the videochat and unlimited download,

When it drops the hotmail videocall, the utorrent it was only downloading at 200 Kbs usually run at around 400Kbs -600Kbs

any hints..

Thank u

Archived