µTorrent 1.8.2 released

Firon

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly the point: they don't cause an auto-update. As I said, the changes don't affect existing 1.8.2 users, and that's (again) exactly the same thing that happened with 1.8.1: there was no autoupdate from 12616 to 12639.

(And it would've been simple enough to verify by this using Help > Check For Updates)

Ok, this is a little bit of a rant but something the dev's NEED to sort out.

Ultima, as you said yourself.. the new builds.. some of which seem to happen on a semi daily basis are not on the auto updater. The first post here which is supposed to show the builds has not been updated in quite some time and does not even show the more recent ones. Some builds of the 1.8.2 series have had some decent bugs so a site really needs to whitelist or blacklist versions by build number. Now since the build number is not included in the name, it becomes VERY confusing for members and a site has to do it via

eg:

uTorrent/1820:-UT1820-\;+]®+ò wžH

uTorrent/1820:-UT1820-z8Úm†$?ÐrÉù&

uTorrent/1820:-UT1820-;µ´ü:~*üâ®

or whatever...(with the 1st 2 symbols being the build)

as the 1.8.2 has no build number in the name.

They see a site allows 1.8.2 but their tracker message says "banned client". Other members check their clients and they find they all have different builds and there have been no updates on their auto update.. so then all say. they are right and the others are wrong. It ends up being one huge mess.

In my opinion and with most programs out there.. builds occur up to a stable release then that release is locked as stable, whilst builds then should continue in the next BETA version, heading towards a new stable.

Currently members of trackers are having to re-download the executable over and over again as it does not tell them the build until they install it and with the frequent changes, they have little choice.

May I also suggest that since uTorrent does not add the build to the name and IF you are going to continue this practice, that you at least create a forum thread here where you list the full ascII build id's of each build. This will make implementation easier for trackers and ultimately get more people using the client. With current tracker code, detectclients.php or whatever, only groups by name and not "hidden" ascII builds and for a tracker to list all by ascII build id and with the next few characters being random, it creates a massive list which is unmanageable.

It has become so out of hand that it is comming down to 2 options. A tracker allows ALL builds of a version (even ones that are detrimental to the tracker and member) or they ban that version (in this case 1.8.2) totally.

@Domokun: So you want to see a changelog entry for every build that simply says "- Change: more toolbar tweaks"? I would have thought my previous reply to you made it clear what the changes are... And it continues to mistify me as to why people are updating to unadvertised builds, and yet, complaining about the lack of a changelog. If you want to update to a build that doesn't have a changelog attached, it's your prerogative -- we're not telling anyone to update to the newer build because there's no reason for anyone to do so.

@DaVrOS: Very valid complaint regarding client ID whitelisting/blacklisting... Not sure how to respond to that.

Regarding stable and build numbers, I've seen programs on both sides of the gamut. Winamp, for example, is v5.55, and yet, Nullsoft has been pumping out new builds of the same version very often as well (2435 in the last few days, followed by 2460 just today, no changelogs or announcements attached). That's not to justify the build increments, but it's just how the cards have fallen due to the way the installer is included with the actual µTorrent executable.

hmm... and does it not seem strange to anyone that there is a reference to a toolbar w/o any previous log to when it was entered as "new feature" , ha ? ... something like:

---2009-04-11: Version 1.8.2 (build 15123)

- Feature: installer change - optional install of ask.com toolbar

Though uTorrent is the only client I'd ever use, I really find the versioning policy problematic somewhat -- unless I monitor the changelog daily I can never really say whether I have the latest version of the release's installer... I perfectly understand the rationale that since there have been only installer changes in the 5 or so stable 1.8.2 builds, it's not updating anything to existing users, but my problem is that every 2-3 months I go through my installer copies folder and check for newer versions of all software, so that next time I reinstall Windows (which will happen shortly once Vista SP2 comes out) or install a different PC, I can't really tell whether I have the latest version of uTorrent or not.... Since obviously I can't make you guys switch to 1.8.2.1 style of versioning :-) can we at least get a (Update X) notice on the home page / download page please? E.g. uTorrent 1.8.2 (Update 3) which would designate the 3rd updated 1.8.2 release? Or something to that effect? Keep up the great job.

P.S. Yes, I am one of the people who hit the executable every two months just to make sure I have the latest one (and, yes, I belong to the bleeding edge group of psychos).

@The guys who complain

What is the point of updating to the very latest release if it has nothing different from the existing release? They already said that all the changes made were installer related (about the new toolbar) which is not important to me (and to you i assume)

What i want to say is if there is something worth updating (such as a new feature or even something that affects how µTorrent works) make sure µT will notify you to update (in a day maximum). Otherwise there is no need to update.

is not important to me (and to you i assume)

seems like it IS important to Bittorrent. I'm sure that when you'll get 1.8.3/1.9 (now in pre-RC/Beta) they will all be inside, (as they should have been in the first place...) together with the important changes. So, better read and learn from others so to be able to tell what's important and what is not... :)

Archived