µTorrent 1.8.2 released

Firon

@moogly:

The claim was made by many including firon that auto update was available even thought it isnt at this moment. The 1.8.2s you see in the swarms must have updated manually. The manual upgrade option is a workaround an not a solution to the lack of an auto-update.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could just my imagination, but it seemed like piece selection has become slightly less random..

Less spread-out

It wasn't due to the pieces distribution in the swarm, it was fine.

So far it only happened on 2 downloads and somehow I doubt something like the random number generator would be changed unannounced and for seemingly no reason.

Well the pieces distribution in the swarm was "normal" - there were no sequential downloaders or people who were skipping files (single file torrent so..). The pieces availability thing looked quite even (no big parts that were obviously darker or lighter than others)

The behaviour: pieces were grouped together rather than evenly spread out. I mean, the average length of a downloaded (or 'not-downloaded', which followed the same strange pattern) 'part' (say, 5 to 20 pieces) was bigger than what would be statistically expected for the # of completed pieces.

A bit like this (attempt at ASCII drawing):

|_||||____|||___|_|||||_|||___|||||_____|||

@moogly - have tried it already, no result

I'd like to add that I was using (and testing) all the 1.8 betas and auto-updating was working fine

I can suspect the problem is connected with the fact that I still use 12616 build, while Ultima have 12639 one.

But if that is the case, why my utorrent never updated to 12639?

Enough is enough, I'm downloading 1.8.2 manually. I'm hoping only there won't be any problems with auto-uptade later again.

Well, I suppose that I can confirm. Both build 12549 (RC1) and 12639 (stable 2) autoupdate correctly. Build 12616 (stable 1), which is sandwiched in between, doesn't auto-update correctly. Not sure if it's a problem with the update script or the build though.

Edit: Yep, the problem was that the update script explicitly blocked 12616 from receiving an auto-update to 12639 (it wasn't worth updating to for users who were already on 12616). That in itself isn't an issue, but the check wasn't removed after 1.8.2 was released, so the update server simply told 12616 that there was no update. At any rate, Firon's fixed the update script, so it should work for everyone now.

this release 1.8.2 fuck up my downloads, before 1.8.1 version my downloads is 170 - 230 kbs, i know how to setup, but now find hard to know the problem and my download for this new version is only 3 kbs and upload is 35kbs, using the same torrent and other torrents. what the fuck! i'm very much annoyed i can't restore my settings before it's already fuck up!...

To quote Grandlord above:

"this release 1.8.2 fuck up my downloads, before 1.8.1 version my downloads is 170 - 230 kbs, i know how to setup, but now find hard to know the problem and my download for this new version is only 3 kbs and upload is 35kbs, using the same torrent and other torrents. what the fuck! i'm very much annoyed i can't restore my settings before it's already fuck up!..."

I also have had a similar experience.

With 1.8 I almost continually had a red NAT signal and low speeds.

1.8.1 appeared to solve the problem, as I almost always had a green NAT signal and much higher speeds.

I auto-updated to 1.8.2 and speeds immediately dropped tremendously and the red NAT signal was back.

I uninstalled 1.8.2 and went back to 1.8.1 b12639 and still have the same problems. Whatever got fixed by 1.8.1 was broken by 1.8.2 and seems to be sticky.

There still seems to be an issue.

P

ok Some feedback.

I dont know what this utp stuff is but I have a rough idea following my experience.

currently on 1.8.2 I have a torrent going, max upload speed is set to 45kB/sec.

Previously on uttorent I would have a solid 45kB/sec upload and my download would not be maxed out as I had explained in previous threads that upload speed affects my download performance. (110kB/sec is my max line upload speed).

On this version I am downloading full speed flatlined on a poorly seeded torrent and my uploading is hovering between 25kB/sec and 45kB/sec, so my guess is UTp somewhat moderates upload packets to ensure download performance and I am guessing when I have 100% the upload will go to a solid 45kB/sec (at this rate will know in 2 hours time).

My upload speed often takes a nosedive when a uTP connection is established.

It would be running along smoothly at 127 KB/sec, then drop to maybe 90 KB/sec when an incoming uTP connection was made.

There is no way to disable uTP nor disable this behavior that I can tell...

Even firewalling uTorrent on UDP did not stop this.

no, it effects the whole ability to connect outside (if uT is completely blocked) or be connected from the outside . Eventually it will not upload/download since no connections will be made. you should see a failed network status sign on the status bar.

If the FW blocks only incoming connections you can probably expect less peers connecting to you, thus slower speed, but I don't think necessarily a dramatic one.

Archived