Firon

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Jimbo4947

The setting you are looking for can be found in:

Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add or Remove Programs

Scroll down until you see the listing for uTorrent, and click the remove button.

Seriously, we are talking about P2P software here. Due to it's very nature, I would suggest you do some research on Google before you attempt to use uTorrent, or any other P2P app for that matter.

If you're gonna play with the Big Dogs.......get my drift?

uTorrent itself is secure. Now you may download a TORRENT containing a virus...and manually run that virus...but that's not uTorrent's fault.

You may also have an older version of Windows that has known exploits...but once again that's not uTorrent's fault. This is why we recommend using a "high" incoming port (10000-65500) for uTorrent's listening port -- that way it is extremely unlikely other programs are listening on that same port. Those programs may be vulnerable too.

This is agood oportunity to insist in DEP & ASLR & SAFESEH features (Windows XP SP2 & Windows Vista). They are extreamly easy to implement and helps to increase the security of programs:

Protecting Your Code with Visual C++ Defenses

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc337897.aspx

As i said in a previously post, the last emule version (0.49c) implement all this security features... in fact more and more software are implementing this features because the cost benefit is clear.

There aren't plans to drop support for OSes earlier than 2k though are there? That would probably improve security more than anything else although I'm sure the reduction in the testing matrix would be huge. (VS08 and above doesn't support pre 2k)

As far as i know none of the security features that i posted before make the program incompatible with previos versions of Windows.

As i said the new eMule 0.49c has this features and still works under Windows 9x.

Anyway i agree with the "renew or die".

shnur: it I knew what's the deal here on 1.8.2 - I wouldn't ask.... do YOU know ? so, 0 = 255 ok. 3 = 10 , and the "5" (TCP only) ? ...

I'm a total noob at this stuff and you guys are really confusing. What value am I supposed to put for uTP? 3? 255? Something else?

Koz

Archived