uTorrent saved my files to limbo!

pi8you

Though it might now be more an OS/Filesystem thing, I ran into some trouble with uTorrent last night and am wondering if anyone might have some ideas...

I've been running the Windows 7 beta(64-bit) and have uTorrent default to downloading to the Desktop. I fired up some torrents with my usual process- click the link in my browser to open, hit Enter when uTorrent pops up to start the download, and then go back to whatever else I was doing.

As it was such a routine set of actions, I didn't pay it much attention, but uTorrent decided, through some action of mine or by itself, that the path it was downloading to was no longer "C:\Users\[Name]\Desktop\[filename]", and was instead saving them to "[filename]". I didn't worry about it immediately though as I found them in my System32 folder (for whatever reason) by using the Open Containing Folder option, and let it be for the night.

However, things came to a screeching halt when I tried to work with them this morning- Windows told me it couldn't move any of them because it couldn't find the files, desipte the fact that I was looking right at them. Further confounding me, I had no problems opening and viewing the files within the Explorer window that uTorrent opened, but couldn't even see them when navigating to the folder manually.

I'd prefer not to have to go and re-download everything, so I'm wondering if anyone has any advice for getting the files(and a couple of folders) out of limbo and into a proper location within my hard drive, particularly if there's a way to make uTorrent change the save to location of files it is/has been downloading(though I've never found anything like this in the 2+ years I've been using it). has already finished downloading(found Advanced -> Set Directory, but it doesn't seem to be helping).

So, I got impatient and redownloaded the torrents to their normal location, however, on a lark, I tried something- from the still-open Explorer window that uTorrent brought up showing the files in System32, I deleted the downloaded files, then went to the Recycling Bin and restored them, and they appeared in System32 both in the already open window and in a System32 window I'd manually navigated to, which seems to have 'fixed' the issue and made the extra download unnecessary.

Archived