Even a low upload cap slows my download speed...

SRSavior

I've seen a lot of posts about people who cap out their upload speeds, and thus limit their download to an atrocious low. My question is different, though. I am on Comcast Cable, and know that my upload caps at around 112kbps. However, even when I go above a limit of, say, 20kbps upload, my download speed suffers. Going above 20kbps at all makes my download speed drop dramatically. Has anyone else encountered this problem? I use Azureus Vuze and uTorrent, and both have given me this problem...

Thanks for any and all help!

Yeah, I've been through all that... and no matter what I do, as I increase upload past a very low number, my download goes down almost in correlation. Even going from a 3kbps limit to 20 shows a difference (I'm confident that the torrents I'm using to test this have a very high transfer speed.)

Tell us more about the settings you're trying.

Bad combinations can cause horrible results.

The 1st link also gives a list of additional info we'll need to help solve the problem/s if it's not uTorrent's fault. (And my guess is it might be a very bad software firewall at work!)

Are you really using default settings in uTorrent?

The Linksys BEFSR41v3 router is older and cannot handle many connections at once.

Peer Guardian has some firewall-like features. It may be interfering with uTorrent.

Your antivirus/antispyware software (if any) might also be causing problems...

Well, changing all those settings did nothing for me, so I just disabled DHT and uPnP and set everything else back to default...

I have AVG free version, and I've set up peerguardian to not interfere with utorrent, and as I've checked the log, it hasn't yet...

So I guess it's probably my router? That would make sense.

Archived