More questions about seeds and peers

SumGuy7

So a particular torrent is showing me this:

Seeds 1(19)

Peers 3(14)

Avail. 1.574

There are 3 machines showing in the lower window. One of them at 100%, another at 50% and the third is 40%. All showing no dl or ul activity, except for an occasional .1 to .5 kb dl burst once in a while.

Questions: does the (19) mean there are 19 machines out there that have 100% of this torrent? If so, why do I only see 1 of them?

I play around with settings like Initial Seeding (add or remove the checkmark), or select Force Start and then Start, to see if I can get some change in this torrent and get some decent DL activity.

1 seeder connected to your client.

19 seeders reported by the tracker.

Initial seeding is useful only if you are the only seeder with many peers.

Anyway you can see 19 peers and have a low DL because they don't want to share with you.

I offen dowload torrents with hundreds peers (and connected with 40 or 50 of them) and receive only 10 or 20% of my max DL speed.

> 1 seeder connected to your client.

> 19 seeders reported by the tracker.

It's now showing 1(20) - 20 seeders now being reported. Peers is showing 3(18).

> Anyway you can see 19 peers and have a low DL because they don't want

> to share with you.

What am I doing to cause that?

What can I do to get more of them to "share" with me?

Is it normal to see this lack of sharing, given that there are more seeders than peers in this case?

> Peers have more incentive to share with you if you

> share more with them (tit-for-tat at work).

Um - doesn't a peer, by definition, already have 100% of the torrent? If so, then how can I share with him, if he doesn't need anything from me (or anyone else) ???

> No. Seeds have 100%. You have your terms backwards.

Um ya. My bad.

BTW, regarding my OP, here's what it's doing now.

Seeds 0(3)

Peers 7(9)

ratio 2.53

Avail 1.95

Currently no DL/UL activity. nada, zero. About once or twice each minute I'll see some ul and dl activity (like a burst to 1.x or 2.x kb/s and then it will fade to 0 within about 10 seconds).

For this torrent, I have DHT, Peer Exchange, and Local peer discovery turned on. I have unlimited dl/ul bandwidth. I have uploaded 2.5 times more than I've downloaded. I've never been able to connect to more than 1 seed with this torrent.

What gives?

Archived