Why is it doing this?

westcoast

Everytime I start up uTorrent, it automatically starts downloading some Debian CD. I stop the download and delete the torrent + data, but every time I restart uTorrent it's back.

What's the problem?

EDIT--It's done this since I got it. Right after I first installed it, it was there. I didn't try and download it or anything, it just appeared for no reason.

Yeah but there should be nothing to resume. I've only downloaded a couple things w/ uTorrent, and never some Debian CD. I reinstalled Vista today, got around to installing uTorrent just recently, and there it was.

I've uninstalled uTorrent and downloaded it again just to check, and the same thing happens. Also happens on a different computer as well.

Exactly why this has me sort of paranoid.

Think I have anything to worry about? I mean I downloaded it on another computer, like I said, just to check. It's never had uTorrent installed on it and it did the same thing.

EDIT--Hey dxwarlock. Kinda a relief to see I'm not the only one with the problem.

Nope, already tried deleting all the files in the %appdata%\utorrent folder. Still no difference, guess we better just wait for the fix. Can't work it out though, I have a clean copy of windows installed and downloaded and installed the 1.8.2 (build 14153) version which schnurlos said worked fine, even that version is playing up.

@westcoast

Did you download utorrent from the download page?

There is a new feature in 1.8.2 to bundle .torrents and .btsearch with the install. It is supposed to be removed when installed for the first time though. Which version of uTorrent are you running?

There is one usecase where this can occur: if you download a bundle (utorrent.exe with a .torrent file) and instead of just running it and install it, you manually copy it to your program files directory, the bundled .torrent file will never be stripped. The expected use case is to run utorrent.exe, and install it. When you run the installed version, it will not have the bundle anymore, and it will not add the torrent.

It appears there was a mixup on the download server to distribute bundles from the regular download page.

Archived